Chapter 18

We were silent for the rest of the way to the house; both of us were lost in our thoughts. I had no idea what Ramont was thinking, but I knew that I was thinking my secret could somehow get out if he said something to my grandmother.

I knew that he said he wouldn't tell her, but... there was a part of me that thought he would. I knew it would be for my "safety" if he told her, but I had been capable of protecting myself and my family for as long as I could remember. It was me who became the breadwinner, and I knew that it would remain me until I felt the need to give up my position.

"I won't tell her what you told me," Ramont said when we were close to the house. He looked this way and that, and I could tell that he was relieved that we had gotten back with no trouble. He didn't want to bring anything to hurt his queen, even though the only "dangerous" thing near her was me. "However, I advise you against doing your "nightly" rituals if you want me to keep it a secret." He gave me a pointed look, and I knew that he was talking about me fighting with other people.

"I won't," I promised. I moved a hand across my face and sighed, feeling tired. I didn't want to go to work later today, but I knew that I had to if I didn't want anyone to notice that I had fought last night when I had promised that I wouldn't. "But I am a trainer at a gym. I normally do "legal" fights and hadn't been there in two years. I will not give up that, and I don't mind if she knows."

Ramont frowned and nodded his head. There was a scowl on his face, and I had a feeling that he did not like the idea of me fighting at all. However, he understood that this was a release for me, and it was something that kept me out of trouble and away from street fighting. "If I may be so bold," he said. "I do not like it, but I will not stop you. You know how to protect yourself and others, and I respect you for that."

I sighed in relief and felt some weight of the world disappear from my shoulders. I had been worried about what he had thought, and my grandmother would think if she found out about my "nightly" activities. I knew that I was different than the rest of the rulers of Erinshire, and I had no idea if I could get the same respect that others before me could get.

I had no idea what I needed to do to prove myself, but I would do anything if it meant to protect my brothers and sisters. They were my world and the people that I had cared about for as long as I could remember. I would do anything for them, even if it meant that I had to take a position that I did not know if I was qualified for it or not.

"You are more than qualified to be a princess," Ramont said, his voice barely above a whisper. He touched my arm before I was able to open the door and squeezed it reassuringly. "I think you will make a great queen once you take the throne from your grandmother."

Hesitantly I nodded my head, but I didn't believe him. I didn't know how to be a queen, and I was sure that I would be a laughing stock amongst the other royals when they learn about my background and how I had been taught how to fight.

"One day, you will see what I mean," he said, and I had a feeling he knew the doubt that was in my mind. He watched me open the door silently and walked in after I gestured for him to enter. Still, he was silent while he watched me lock the house for the rest of the evening and bowed his head in respect. "Goodnight, Your Highness," he said softly. "I hope that this does not become a habit."

I rolled my eyes when he smirked and nodded my head. "Goodnight, Ramont," I whispered. "Sleep tight."

And with that, I walked to my room, silently and stealthily, thinking about what had transpired this evening.

I still had no idea if Ramont knew this was a good idea or not, but I knew enough about him to know that he was trustworthy. I knew that he would respect my wishes and not tell my grandmother what he had seen that evening.

All I needed to do was make sure that I didn't go to any other street fights while they were here. I just hoped that I would be able to keep my promise to him.

I did not need her to know...

***

"Are you going fighting today?" Jenny asked early the next morning while I cooked breakfast. She rubbed her eyes and walked over to me, pouting, and I knew that she didn't like to be up so early, even though she didn't have to be.

"Fighting?" my grandmother asked, shocked. "What do you mean by fighting?" She looked at me and pursed her lips. She didn't like it, I could tell, and I was grateful that Ramont wouldn't tell her about my other activities if she was to act like this. "What does she mean by fighting?" she asked.

"I am a trainer at a local gym," I replied, looking up from the fire and turned to look at her. I kept my face blank, ensuring that she wouldn't know that I was hurt about her pursed lips and disgusted look. "I teach people how to fight and fight there, as well."

"Why?"

"Money," I replied. "It's a good-paying job, and I have had it for a while." I shrugged my shoulders and turned my attention back to the fire to make sure that I didn't burn the food we all were going to eat once it was done. "Jeb helped me get it."

"Couldn't he have helped you find a job that was a little less... barbaric?"

I held back a wince and pursed my lips. I had no idea why she thought it was barbaric when other stuff could be counted as barbaric. Of course, fighting wasn't a lot of people's cup of tea, but it had been the way I made a living when other places wouldn't hire me.

"You should watch her fight," Jenny said. She sat down beside me and laid her head on my shoulder. She watched the fire a little while before she turned to look at my grandmother and grinned. "She's really good. She has won a lot of fights and is one of the toughest females that I know."

My grandmother offered her a grim smile, and I could tell that she did not want to see me fight for whatever reason. "We shall see," she said, nodding her head. "I am sure that she would be amazing."

I pursed my lips, but I didn't reply while I got the food out of the fire and onto the plate waiting to be filled. I had no idea how she would react, but if she wanted to come and watch me fight, then she could. I didn't care what she wanted to do, if it meant watching me fight or not.

Maybe she would understand if she saw me fight and not look at me as if I was some sort of barbarian. It had been the only way I could make a living, and it was something that I was good at, especially since I was a "respected" member of the underground fighting ring.