Chapter 5

Snowdin

There was a cold chill in the air. Snow kept falling down as Sans' feet crunched through as he stepped. A light suddenly flashed to his other direction.

Another reset?

Sans was too familiar to the human's resets. He cannot seem to remember everything every time it happens. The memories are all jumbled in his mind. Flashbacks of happy times with Frisk. Times where she had accidentally killed a few monsters from self defense. Other times, where she brutally killed everyone in sight. Too many painful memories seeing Papyrus, his only brother, die. Sans squeezes his eyes shut, trying to fight back the tears. While he was trying to calm himself down, he takes a deep breath.

It's alright. This universe, Frisk hasn't killed anyone in it.

Sans puts his hood over his head to investigate the reset. Did Frisk die? Why did she reset? The woman seemed to be doing fine just earlier. His heart was pounding a bit. Sans cannot fully trust Frisk after everything he has seen her done in all the timelines.

Why should it bother me that she died? She could just reset anyway.

Sans shrugged to himself. Keeping his distance, Frisk comes to view. She seemed unconscious this time.

Weird.

It was unsual Frisk was unconcious after a reset. Whenever she does reset, it would be by her "save point" and she would be awake. A yellow star-like thing that Sans and Frisk can only see. There wasn't any save point in sight.

Sans hides a bit more as Frisk starts to move a bit. Her body shivers a bit as she sits up. There was some frost in her hair and some spread out on her back. Her hands lift up to her face - she cannot tell whether she was shivering or trembling. Maybe both. To Sans' surprise, tears kept falling down Frisk's face. He flinched a bit but begins to look away, reminding himself not to care about her. Frisk could be dangerous so he has to watch her. This could be a trap.

I didn't want to go back. Frisk thought.

A monster, known as Ice Cap, approaches her as she's crying. Frisk didn't budge or moved as the capped monster started to attack her.

What is she doing?

Each attack hits Frisk. She seemed silent and unwilling to fight. Unwilling to ACT. Unwilling to do anything.

Why?

For some reason, Sans seemed a bit bothered. His inner thoughts kept getting louder and louder.

No, why should I even care?

That person... Murdered Papyrus and my friends over and over again!

Some blood trickles down Frisk's arm. It's almost as if she keeps wanting to get hit.

I shouldn't care.

Frisk opens her arms out.

I shouldn't...

Frisk smiles sadly as she mouths, "Please, end me so this nightmare may end."

By understanding what Frisk meant, Sans walked right out. He gotten that monster's attention by tapping Ice Cap's back.

"Heya." Sans greeted. "I think you need to take a hint, buddy. She doesn't want to fight."

Frisk looks at Sans in shock. Full of surprise, he actually helped her from her demise. She watches as Ice Cap walks away, slightly grumpy but mostly apologetically. Sans looks over in her direction.

"Hey, kid." Sans winked. "You don't look so good."

"Please," Frisk trembled. "Don't come near me.."

Frisk didn't want to hurt Sans again. Fear and guilt is hurting her heart. Chara might come again.

"Hmm." Sans pondered and then shrugged. "Nope. No can do."

Before Frisk says another word, Sans put his hand on her shoulder. "I'll fix you up."

They teleported what seems to be inside Sans's and Papyrus's home. Sans gestures Frisk to sit unwillingly on the couch. He starts treating her wounds, but Frisk motions for him to stop.

"Do you have a sore back?" Sans questioned. "You are acting rather disc hurteous."

Usually, Sans' poor, yet clever puns would make her laugh but she looked down.

"Sans," Frisk looks away from him. "You shouldn't be doing this. I could be dangerous."

Sans closes his eyes and finishes patching her up. He takes a seat next to her.

"It's my fault." Frisk cried. "I was too weak... Chara..."

Chara?

Sans recalled that name. The first fallen human. When Asriel died and became Flowey, he became twisted and disturbing. Sans used to stop him in other timelines. Has Chara also become that way? Seeing Frisk cry, Sans had the urge to comfort her. Mistrust is still covering his judgement on her. Sans is simply afraid of trusting Frisk. How was this Frisk any different? Time passes as there was nothing but tears and silence between them.

Tap.

Sans felt something brush against his shoulder. Frisk's head. She had fallen asleep. A hint of blue blush forms on Sans' cheeks. His guard slowly went down a bit.

 His guard slowly went down a bit

Well, geez.

Feeling her closely makes Sans' heart beat fast. Sans looks down upon Frisk. Her eyes seemed wearied. It looks like she's been through a lot.

She's hurting as much as I have...

Sans closed his eyes in a thought. He remembered that photo that he has of Frisk and everyone together. A photo that hasn't been erased through many timelines. Where has that happiness gone?

Is it...really you...?

Despite of her looking messed up, Sans still thought she looks pretty. A twinge of guilt forms for even mistrusting Frisk from earlier. This time seems different from the rest. Something is wrong. Sans hestitated but slowly put his arm around Frisk as she slumbers.

"Whatever you may have been through," Sans spoke up. "I will listen to your full story when you get up."

Frisk....