Veintinueve

Three days have passed and Benny hasn't woken up

Three days have passed and Benny hasn't woken up. The doctor says it's normal, but I'm starting to believe its utter bullshit. "Have you called his family? They need to be here." Apart from having to stand the agonizing days apart from Sandra, I've been forced to spend my time with Barb. She doesn't leave! At first, I decided to but my annoyance aside and understand her intentions, but now my tolerance has shortened. 

"Why don't you go home. Leave me your number and I'll update you if anything happens." It didn't take long for her to scoff and begin to argue against my proposal. 

"Pft as if I'll leave you in charge of Benny's care. Need I remind you that this is all your fault?" I clench my fist and bit my tongue as she continued to repeat her usual ramble.

"You left him to go play house with your girlfriend. Who says you won't do that again." She crossed her arms and tilted her head up to question me.

"Barb I deserve to get shit, but not from you. You aren't a part of any of this. Benny never once mentioned you and I'm sorry but I don't even consider you my friend. Please leave, you're only making the environment hostile." I waited for her to scream at me and say the hospital was public, but she only gaped as her bottom lip trembled. 

"He never mentioned me?" I rubbed my temple and let out a no.

"I don't believe you. You're just saying that to hurt me like I've been hurting you." I felt bad as I watched her cold exterior crumble.

"I'll let you know when he wakes up." She turned away from me and began collecting her things. I waited for her to give me her number but she never did.

"Finally, just me and you, Ben." I felt my tense shoulders relax as I leaned into the wall behind me.

---

"What the hell did you say to Barbara? I ran into her and she was crying." Daniel looked like his old self again, sleek hair and tailored clothes.

"The truth. She needed to jump off her high horse. She was acting like Benny's wife. " Maybe her and Benny had a fling, but I doubt it was serious, he would've told me if he had found the one.