Treinta Y Dos

I had convinced Sandra to sleep on the cot

I had convinced Sandra to sleep on the cot. Benny was awake for almost an hour before he fell asleep. He didn't talk much, so I took it upon myself to explain everything that had happened. I could tell he was still confused but thankfully not resentful towards me. The doctor had told me Benny would be tired for the first couple of days and it would take time for him to fully recover. He had been unconscious for almost a week, obviously, he would need to regain strength before trying to force himself to do ordinary things.

Though he wasn't upset with me the guilt still resurfaced every time I looked at him. The bruises on his face were healing, but the cuts remained and would most likely become scars.

I didn't get much sleep in the hospital, I felt paranoid. Now that Sandra was back, it was easier for Steven's brother to avenge him, we were sitting ducks. I tried to shake off the dread of running into him again, trying to avoid a panic attack. A lot of fucked up shit had happened and it was hard to pretend things were better now. Sure, Sandra was with me and Benny was up, but we had targets on our backs.

To ease the stress I turned to stare at Sandra who slept on the cot. Like me, she looked stressed and uneasy, her lips formed a pout and her eyebrows furrowed. "I'm going to take care of you, I promise." It's like she heard me because she began to relax.

---

In the early morning, Sandra and I decided it was best to get a hotel room. It took a while for her to agree, but after seeing her wake up with a stiff back I knew I couldn't let her sleep that way again. "I got a room in a high-security hotel, they won't be able to get in," I reassured her as she twiddled her thumbs and stared at the tile floor. Daniel had recommended we stay there and even promised to lend me one of his bodyguards until I made it back to California. He's been saving my ass since this nightmare started.

"Those places are expensive, you shouldn't be wasting so much money." Sandra stood from the worn-out chair and let out a yawn. Though her hair looked messy and she looked tired I couldn't help but lose my train of thought as I looked at her. Damn it, she's so beautiful.

"I don't mind, it's for your safety. Plus, I miss sleeping with you." I approached her with a grin and wrapped my arms around her waist. Sandra smiled, her deep dimples on full display complimenting her rosy cheeks. Again I found myself in awe of her.