Seis

As I waited for her response, she became skittish and awkward

As I waited for her response, she became skittish and awkward. "I take the bus. Paola picks me up when she can, but sometimes I get off when she's still in class, so she can't get me. I would walk, but since it's winter and it gets dark outside, it's kinda scary." Sandra rambled on, avoiding eye contact. She was much more flustered than our two previous encounters.

I hoped she didn't think I was hitting on her.

"I can give you a ride if you want." At this point, I felt like anything that left my lips was word vomit. She shifted from one foot to the other and blinked. My tone of voice was purposely bland and uninterested for the sole purpose of her realizing I was not interested in her.

"O-Okay. I get off in an hour." She was lucky I was planning on staying for that long, or else I would've changed my mind. Plus, she was right about it getting dark early. It could be dangerous, and I hadn't done a good deed in a long time. I believed in good karma. Giving her a ride was like helping an old lady cross the street or giving a couple of bucks to a homeless person.

"I'll see you in an hour." I walked past her slowly, noticing her cheeks flush in the process. After her cheeks turned red, her whole face followed. I had to hold myself back from smirking at the sight.

I guess I did affect her.

I ended up finishing my laps way before the hour. Since I had already offered her a ride, I decided to wait out of pity. I had seen some dudes enter the room she was in and was curious to see when they would exit. Even though I was not too fond of swimming, I didn't regret coming up to the third floor. I had a great workout. While waiting for her, I found myself replying to emails and catching up on social media, and I had to kill time somehow.

When she finally came out, my tense muscles relaxed, knowing I could eventually go home. We walked side by side for a while, and I couldn't help but notice how frequently she glanced at me. "What?" I questioned defensively, catching her stare.

"Nothing, I'm just surprised you're still talking to me." I wanted to ask what she meant by that, but she continued. "I know you only talked to me at the bar because your friend wanted a shot with Paola.