Reassurance

When you woke up, you noticed the oddly comfy feeling under you. Sitting up, you looked around only to find you were in Thranduil's room with the king himself fast asleep on a chair.

With a little laugh you walked over and took the book from his grasp. Grabbing a pillow you placed it behind his head and covered him with a blanket.

You and toothless crept quietly out the room and down the halls. Finding a dwarf woman you walked over with a smile. She looked similar to the prince's you saved.

"Excuse me?"
"What is it?" She asked politely.
"I was wondering if you could show me where to get breakfast and some fish."

She looked behind you and gasped at the sight of toothless.

"You're the dragon rider who saved my brother and my sons!"
"Thorin and the princes?"

She nodded and took your hands in hers as her eyes gleamed with happiness.

"Thank you, thank you for saving them."
"I would do it again if I had to."

She laughed a little and let go of your hands.

"I am Lady Dis, follow me I'll show you the dining all."
"Thank you Dis."

Following her, you listened as she told you about Erebor, her sons who you learnt were called Fili and Kili and a bit of history about the dwarfs. When she reached a large door she pushed it open and you found many people were eating, including Thorin.

The king looked over and smiled warmly as he stood and and met you halfway, pulling you in for a hug which you happily returned.

"Someone bring a bucket of fish!" He boomed, "please come sit (Y/N), Dis."

Dis sat on one side of the table next to Thorin and you sat on the other with toothless behind you. Thorin passed you some food which you happily dug into.

"I have heard rumours you came here with the elf king, is it true?"
"Yes, Thrandull and I arrived yesterday."
"He has made no attempt to hurt your dragon has he?" Thorin said bitterly.
"No, he tried in Rivendell but was quickly stopped. That was a few months ago, he has accepted Toothless now."

Thorin nodded and smiled at you. Once toothless had his fish you hummed happily and begun to eat.

"Fili and Kili return in a few days, they would enjoy seeing you both again."
"They didn't seem to Happy the first time." You snickered.
"Ah, we usually associate dragons with bad things. But he is different."

Nodding you finished your food and bowed your head to Thorin.

"If you do not mind, I would like to go for a flight."
"Not at all."

Thanking him, you walked around the room before running down the halls back to the main entrance. Jumping on toothless the pair you took to the sky again.

It was same routine, you would spend most the day flying or walking around, you would have meals and in the evening you would talk with Thranduil.

Once Fili and Kili came back you spent a day talking with them. Telling them a bit about yourself and how you tamed a dragon and they told you about their quest to reclaim Erebor.

"I wish I had know about Smaug, I would have lured him away from laketown." You sighed.
"It's okay (Y/N)." Kili smiled, "bard the bowman defeated him."

The evening was spent with you listening to their songs and you teaching them things about dragons you met.

When the day of the meeting came, you stood outside with the elf king. He seemed worried and that wasn't something you had ever seen on him before. Risking it you took his hands in yours and looked up into his blue eyes.

"Remember what I said, hear him out, okay? Be polite."
"I would be more comfortable if you could come with me." He sighed, "at least I get along with you."

Laughing you shook your head and let go of his hands patting his chest.

"You'll do great."
"What will you do while I'm stuck in this meeting?"
"I'll go for a flight."
"Of course you will." He chuckled.

You searched his face, taking his hands once more you gave them a gentle squeeze.

"Remember what it is to be a leader. You have to do things that'll make life better for your people. I know you're a great king, I believe in you. I believe that everything that happens in this meeting will go smoothly."

Thranduil nodded and slipped past you, his hand brushing against yours before he disappeared. You let your shoulders sag as you begun to walk to the main entrance where toothless was waiting.

You had high hopes in Thranduil, you hoped he would do the right thing, for his people and for himself. Only time would tell.

"Hey toothless." You muttered.

Leaning against him you looked at the horizon when movement caught your keen eyes. Pulling out your telescope you put it too your eye to get a better view and you gasped.

There, coming over the hill was a group of orcs, riding on what looked like huge bats. The telescope fell from you hands, you swung up onto toothless and by the time the telescope hit the floor you were gone