Chapter Twenty-Seven: Waking.

Luka

  I sat on the floor of Josh's house, with my face in the palms of my hands, and tears running down my face. 

I quickly wiped them away when I heard the door to the office open. 

"Man, are you crying again?" He asked. I rubbed my face and couldn't look at him. 

"What do you want you asshole?" I asked. I wanted to stand up and beat the living shit out of him, but I clenched my hands into fists and restrained myself. 

"We found her, Luka."

--------------------

Avery

  My eyelids flickered open. 

I stared up at a white hospital ceiling, the heart monitor beeped next to me and made a rhythm that I listened to for a long time. This was the sign that I might still be alive. I lifted my arm weakly to stare at the IV's in my hair, pumping in some medicine, I could feel my leg was wrapped up and not hurting any longer. Someones warm hand was holding tightly onto mine, the smell was sweet and familiar as I gazed around the room, I was surrounded by beautiful flowers and roses. Tears swelled up in my eyes and I felt my hand move. My head tilted to look at the person, mom. Dad was sitting behind her in a hospital chair with his head on his arm and fast asleep. Mom was asleep as well, holding onto my hand tightly. I cried loudly, not meaning to, but I couldn't believe it. Mom lifted her head and gasped in surprise. 

I smiled at her weakly and she kissed my hand, sobbing. There were no words. No words were needed, all that mattered was the moment we were sharing, we knew how to speak to each other without words. 

We were both thanking God, from the bottom of our hearts. 

We weren't Christians, but that day I decided to be one.

We cried with each other for a long time, the room was full of life and smelled of the flowers sent from everyone. 

I couldn't tell you how that moment ended, it was as if the earth had shifted and time had stopped.

Was I one of the lucky girls that had made it out alive? Yes. I later found out Dawn and the other four had made it out alive, but the others we couldn't say the same. Mom told me what had happened to the men who kidnapped me, they were being sent to be executed for kidnapping and murder of six innocent girls. She also had told me, what Luka had done. 

"Luka Toledo had managed for the best detectives in the world for this case that was never solved. He saved you, he brought you back to me." Tears streamed down her face. Luka? Lukas name echoed through my mind. I was quiet. I smiled. Mom hugged me, again, and again. 

Luka did?