Chapter One: Why This Story?

Thank you very much for reading! :D Hope you enjoy the story. A few errors here and there but I'll get to them eventually.

------------------------------------------------

Avery

  My hands flipped the pages of the book over and over again. 

  My knees were curled up close to my chest as I read the book in my lap quietly.

I wasn't able to pull my eyes away. The story I was reading was Cinderella, and I desperately hated her step mother. She was an awful person. If I was locked up in a room, with only mice as friends; I wouldn't be the slightest bit nice to her. 

That wasn't true.

I'm in almost the same situation as her, but with a little more freedom and I wasn't treated like a slave. I was treated more like a burden. My hair hung down from my shoulder's as I fiddled with the long strands of brown hair in boredom. I placed the book beside me after placing my cat bookmark in the middle. I looked around my empty room, only a desk with my flip up phone sitting on it was there. My small bed was stuck in the corner of the room, close to the little window I had with a black blanket covering over it. Light escaped through the sides of the blanket, and blinded me the moment I moved into view. I peeked outside of the window, lifting the blanket and gazing out into the dark forest that was located in my backyard. There was a highway on the other side, cars and trucks zoomed by through the pine trees. 

My fingers ran through the middle of my hair, flopping it back from my eyes. I thought about going back to my book and reading, but I was bored already from reading it ten times. My body fell onto the springy bed and I curled up on my side to close my eyes and started to dream.

*     *     *     *     *

  I jolted upright when I heard the front door of my house open, then slam shut. 

I knew it.

My father had come back from the bar, and was drunk as hell. I prayed silently he wouldn't come into my room and I hid under my covers, peeking out a small hole that was in them and intensively stared at my bedroom door. I could hear him shuffling papers around and he was mumbling something I couldn't hear. A glass cup smashed against our tile flooring in the kitchen down the hall, and I flinched with surprise. My father cussed loudly and threw another against the wall. I shivered with fear, hearing my father be so aggresive at the slightest thing. My hands tightened the blankets when everything fell silent. I let out a sigh, folding the blanket back in its regular place.

I didn't sleep after that. I stayed up all night making sure he wouldn't come in my bedroom to beat me for no reason. The night I ran away flashed back in my head; when the Police took me away from Luka, they brought me back to my house and I stoodin front of my mother. I was mumbling through my sobs pleading don't go to the policeman, and as soon as he turned his back my mother closed the door and beat me with a belt. I have permanent scaring from that day, and all the time they checked to make sure I'm in my room. Of course, they weren't the ones who told the cops I had ran away; a woman had spotted me and Luka playing in the park and it was already reported Luka had ran away. So, they had assumed I had too. My parents didn't care about me, I was a mistake they couldn't get rid of.

A tear crawled down my cheek, and I rubbed the belt marks on my right arm from the day before. How could I go on living? What was my life worth anyway? I had no friends, no family to depend on, and I was a double sided mirror that no one could see through. The only person that had ever cared about me, was the boy named Luka. That was eleven years ago, and not a day has passed that I still can't remember the words he said to fill my heart with hope.