Subverting Expectations

A/N: Am I being extra with the title? Maybe haha. Anyhow, here's a quick birthday blurb I wrote that may suck since I really wrote this in a few hours (yay me *gives self a cookie* aslkalska) Hope you enjoy!

AND HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY TO YOU SHAWN! ILY

Summary: Shawn expected his birthday to not be as happy since you couldn't make it, but it was his birthday, of course there was a surprise.

Warnings: Fluff and typos.

Word Count: 2.2k+

-:-:-:-:-

"Come on man, lighten up, it's your big day. I'm sure she has a good reason why she can't make it." Brian tried his hardest to comfort the birthday boy, but much to no avail, Shawn didn't even bother to move a muscle. He was all bundled up in his bed on the bus, a deep frown etched on his face as he stared blankly at the conversation shown on his phone.

They were on their way to New York at this hour to celebrate his 21st birthday, but Shawn couldn't find his excitement anymore as he re-read the two text messages his girlfriend of 2 years, sent him just last night and one this morning.

iMessage from Y/N:
Hey bub, I am really really reallllyyy sorry to tell you this over text but I don't think I can make it to New York :(( Something came up with work and I can't say no unless I want to jeopardize my job. I feel soo awful right now but I will make it up to you in due time, I promise. I love you with all my heart my wonderful rockstar. Happy birthday. xx

iMessage from Y/N:
Hey baby, my boss just said it's a no phone event so I won't have access with my phone the whole day. I really am so so sorry Shawn :// I will make it up angel I promise. I love you loads x

Shawn had been so thrilled for months on end leading up to this day, not only because he was turning into the big twenty-one but he was finally going to see her after months of being away. But now, even that plan has flunked and he wasn't sure when he was going to see her, if it was sooner or later.

The young man's hopes were definitely crushed with those simple text messages, and he doesn't even have the energy to get up anymore. Sure it may sound a bit too extra, but he just misses her so damn much and he was looking forward to celebrating this special day with the love of his life.

"Bro, don't make me drag your ass out of bed." Brian's voice echoed around the space again, followed by a loud thump as a pillow was thrown right at Shawn's face, making him drop his phone on the floor.

"Seriously dude?" The curly boy reached for the device with a groan as he shot his friend a death glare, to which Brian only shrugged. "We're almost there, get up or I'll be throwing something less soft than a pillow."

"Okay fine. Jeez, I didn't ask you to become my dad all of the sudden." Shawn grumbled, sitting up fully with a deep sigh as he ran a hand through his unruly hair.

"Don't worry, I'm sure she sends all her love to you dude. And she would want you to have as much as you can; it's your big day." Brian gave his friend a reassuring smile, trying his best not to say anything or else Y/N would definitely kill him for good this time.

"Yeah, I know. I just really wish she was here."

***

"Does he suspect anything?"

"Not a single clue. Idiot has been moping around the whole day." Connor chuckled as he helped you with your bag, loading it in the car as quick and as low key as you can, making sure both of you will go unnoticed.