Chapter 17

He doesn’t say anything, but I can hear him breathing. “Jack. I was wondering if you could come see me. I know it’s been a long time, but I have something for you to see. Could you indulge an old man one last time, please?” He sighs. “Sure. Do you want me to come now?” I smile. “Yes, that would be nice.” It’s silent again. “Alright. I’ll be there soon.” Before he hangs up, “It’s good to hear from you Max.” I smile to myself. “Same.” I hang up.

“He’ll be here soon. Would you like to take a look at your mum’s old room?” She smiles at me. “Sure.” I smile back. “Come along young man.” I wave my hand at him and we start walking. The young man stands next to Jaedyn. “Could you be ever so kind and help me up the stairs, please?” He nods and walks over to my right while Jaedyn is still on my left. They both help me up the stairs.

“Here we are.” I point to the door on the right. She slowly walks towards the door and opens it. I walk in behind her. “I’ve left it just the way she did before she moved out.” She looks at me with a confused look. “She moved out on her own. She has a very lovely house not too far from here. I could show it to you some time if you’d like.” She smiles at me again. “I’d love to.”

“This is amazing Peter.” She grabs his hand. “I never thought I had any grandparents, but this is freaking awesome.” He smiles. She chuckles and starts looking at the pictures. “Peter. Could you help me back down the stairs? I’m sure her dad will be here soon.” He nods. “Yes, sir.” I laugh. “There’s no need to call me sir. You can call me grandfather, if you’d like or Max.” He chuckles. “Sorry. I was raised to respect my elders. It’s polite if I say sir or ma’am.”

“That’s good. Kids these days are so disrespectful.” He nods. We get down the stairs. “Thank you Peter.” He smiles and nods at me. “You’re welcome.” I point to the stairs. “You can go back up there with her if you’d like.” He smiles at me again. “Thank you.” He starts to head back up the stairs.

*Jaedyn’s POV*

“Hello Jack. It’s been a long time.” He smiles. “Yes.” It’s weird listening to just one side of a conversation. I look back at Peter. He gives me a reassuring smile. “Jack. I was wondering if you could come see me. I know it’s been a long time, but I have something for you to see. Could you indulge an old man one last time, please?” Max smiles. “Yes, that would be nice.” Max smile again. “Same.” He hangs up.

“He’ll be here soon. Would you like to take a look at your mum’s old room?” I smile at him. “Sure.” He smiles back. “Come along young man.” Max waves his hand at Peter and we start walking. Peter comes and stands next to me. “Could you be ever so kind and help me up the stairs, please?” Peter nods and walks over to my right side of Max while I am still on his left. We both help him up the stairs.

“Here we are.” He points to the door on the right. I slowly walk towards the door and open it. The guys walk in behind me. “I’ve left it just the way she did before she moved out.” I give him a confused look. “She moved out on her own. She has a very lovely house not too far from here. I could show it to you some time if you’d like.” I smile at him again. “I’d love to.”

“This is amazing Peter.” I grab his hand. “I never thought I had any grandparents, but this is freaking awesome.” He smiles at me. I chuckle and start looking at the pictures. “Peter. Could you help me back down the stairs? I’m sure her dad will be here soon.” I look over and see Peter nod. “Yes, sir.” Max laughs. “There’s no need to call me sir. You can call me grandfather, if you’d like or Max.” The guys have already left the room. I can hear Peter as he chuckles. “Sorry. I was raised to respect my elders. It’s polite if I say sir or ma’am.”

I continue looking at all of the pictures. I pick one up and inspect it closer. Grandpa Max was right. I do look a lot like my mum. She’s very beautiful. I don’t see any pictures of my dad. I continue looking through the pictures when Peter returns. “This is my mum.” I hand him the picture. “Wow. You really do look like her.” I smile. “Right?” We both laugh. “Thanks for being here with me. I want to say something though and I don’t want to hurt your feelings.” I look down at the floor. “I understand. You want to meet your dad by yourself.” He puts his hand on my shoulder. “Don’t worry.” I look up at him and smile. “Thanks Peter.” I lean towards him and give him a quick kiss on the lips. When I back away, he has a shocked look on his face. I begin to laugh, then the doorbell rings.