22.𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

Roger woke up in the middle of the night, all sweaty. Again that nightmare. Again, that scene of infidelity, which becomes a funeral procession. His eyes got used to the dark. The heartbeat in his chest was less and less still.

The grip on his neck slowed him down from turning to his wife immediately. He saw the sleeping Fanny beside him. He heard her breathe heavily and moan. Roger got out of bed. His brain ranlike a band before his eyes every nightmare scene.

He went to through the corridor, reaching a dooran. He opened it, quietly peeking his head through the slits. The moonlight crept like a nocturnal animal into the room, illuminating the reluctant Adam. Fanny had invited her assistant to dinner. Maybe boredom or just thirsty for a company other than Roger.

He snorted and closed the bedroom door. He walked past the dark corridor and re-entered the bedroom, where his wife slept. He kissed her on the cheek and layed back down next to her and fell asleep.

                               ◆ ◇ ◆

Adam and Fanny were headed to the store. The boy was driving the car. And Roger. Roger decided that he would not go to the office that day and stroll in the park. Then he stopped at a bookstore. There he met Emma's familiar figure.

“Hello Mr. Roanne.” Emma greeted politely and said goodbye to the man.
-Bonsoir, Miss Dumont. What a pleasant surprise to see you? Fanny told me a lot about you.
-I hope only nice things.- Emma laughed. But all she could think about was tonight with his lovely wife.
-I want to invite you for a coffee. Now I don't take "no" for an answer.

The two laughed. Emma took Roger's hand and he led her to a cafe.
-Fanny doesn't stop talking about you. She hasn't spoken as fervently since we were married. I can say that she is madly in love with you.
“You have no idea.” Emma thought, but prefer to stayed silent.

"Do you know that I found in your wife valuable things that are an important part of female friendship."
"And what are they?"
-"Love, respect, honesty and most of all trust. These four things go hand in hand and lead not only friendships between two or more women, but also relationships. Whether between a man and a woman or between two women or two men. ”Emma looked at the older man.

“You're right, mademoiselle Dumont.” Roger answered, and suddenly his face frown. They arrived at a small cafe. All painted in beige and dark brown. Roger ordered brandy with a lot of ice while Emma went with an orange juice.
Roger was so good to send her home.

                          ♧ ★ ♧
Fanny felt a sharp pain in her belly. Adam was by her side and caught her from fading. Lay her on the couch and bring her a pillow and water. The baby kicked with all his might, suggesting something was up.