Chapter 14 - 30 Seconds of Math

Norrisville High, in the auditorium

(Y/n)'s P.O.V.

I was in the auditorium with Mr Manuel. He was playing on his piano as I was near him as I was doing my warm up. He stopped playing the piano. I asked him; "Is everything alright?"

"I cannot tell a lie. With you being my only student for the musical theatre class, the school might be shutting the programme down." Mr Manuel said. I said to him; "Why? Just because I am the only student attending your classes, doesn't mean we cannot do anything, right?"

"I'm afraid we can't." Mr Manuel said. I started thinking as I said; "Well, I do have an idea."

"And that would be?" He said he seemed interested. I said; "Well, the school is holding a battle of the bands, right? How about you join in it to show them what we can do?"

"That's a good idea. However it is a battle of the 'bands'. There has to be more than one person in the band." Mr Manuel said. I said; "It's going to be a risk for me. But I am willing to take on the challenge. I'm – I'm going to sing. In public, where everyone is going to keep on staring at me. Alright, this is a horrible idea. No, I'm not going to do this."

"No, it's a great idea. We just need to build up on your confidence with singing in public." He said. I calmed down as much as I could. I said; "Alright. I'm going to do it. This is for the musical theatre programme."

"Alright. Now, what would you like to sing? What is the song you feel most confident?" Mr Manuel said as he grabbed his tablet to find a manuscript website. I asked him; "I'm not sure. I'm more familiar with classical."

"Is there a song that someone used to sing to make you calm down?" He said. Then I remembered a song my mother used to sing to me whenever our castle was under attack while my father went into battle to protect us. I said; "My mother used to sing me a song very dear and special to me."

"Okay, let's try it. By humming the song, I think I can figure out the notes. Or better yet singing it." Mr Manuel said.

In the halls

As I was walking along the halls after my rehearsal session, I saw Randy and Howard coming out of the janitor's closet. I said; "Hi guys!"

"Hey Ocean. What's got five nipples and is gonna win the Battle of the Bands? These guys! Lock it up!" Randy said as they did their hand shake. Howard said; "Now that we've locked it up, I'd like to take a moment to talk to you Cuningham and Ocean about NNS."

"NN what?" Randy and I said. Howard said; "Ninja No-Show. It's a friendship threatening condition where two bros, and their lady friend, are about to do something awesome, but one bro, or lady friend ninjas out and totally blows it! By the way, you're the ninja, bro and you're the lady ninja."

As Howard points at us, Randy and I were denying it. Howard said; "Oh yeah. What about gym class, during the trust fall exercise, when you were supposed to catch me and I fell on the floor as you NNS. Or how about when we were rowing a boat, which Ocean didn't come to and you just NNS'd to fight a robo-ape. How about the time Ocean was about to catch me as I jumped in the air to be caught by her when we were dancing ballet as she just went to fight a stanked student. NNS!"

"I cannot recall it." I said. Randy said; "OK, you know I may have NNS'd on occasion, but tonight's the Battle of the Bands. No way will we NNS!"

"Swear it, Cunningham and Ocean! Swear it on my beats!" Howard said. Randy and I placed our hands on his beats and said; "On your beats."

"Besides, (Y/n) will be there to support us during the show, if anything she can just stop it." Randy said. I forgot. I was supposed to be there to support them. I said; "Oh right. You guys don't know."