Chapter 9: Exousía

Start from the beginning

Mr. Oda also told me about another type of ability that is being studied, they call it "Property type". It is somehow similar to the Control type ability but unlike my ability, property type can literally create fire, ice or air out of nowhere and use it as an offensive or defensive weapon. The property type emerged twenty five years ago, the first encounter was with a man named Notus who came out of nowhere and started to wreck havoc. He was so powerful that he killed eight heroes and injured others more during his rampage. He has the ability to create a storm out of nothing, he summoned the winds, dark clouds and even lightnings; the heroes fought him for hours and it was a long bloody fierce battle.

Even though thirty heroes responded, almost half of them had to focus on saving civilians and despite their best effort to save the people, hundreds of civilians were still killed due to the tsunami and hurricanes that Notus created. After the fight ended, it left the municipal of Naples destroyed, thousands of people injured and a lot of questions left unanswered.

The United Nation released hundreds of billions worth of money to help rebuild Naples, they then created a separate organization to study the "Property Type" and as much as possible, eliminate any potential threats that possess that kind of ability; they call the new found organization as the "Black Hand".

Since the incident 25 years ago, there had been four other heroes who had the rare abilities but was immediately recruited by the United Nation as their own employee and nothing was heard from them again, rumors has it that the four property type persons are working as normal office employee in Geneva, where the headquarters of the United Nation is.

That incident was broadcast internationally but they announced that it was a higher tier type of monster, they created the title "Havoc type" as the highest level type of monsters or villains. Before the only class type of villains or monsters are minor class, major major class, colossal type and titan class, but because Notus was on a different level; they created the title "Havoc level" which means that it will take multiple heroes to defeat it.

Minor level are considered as petty crimes such as stealing, robbing and other kind that the police can handle on their own. Major class of criminals are a bit serious, they are considered to be harmful and may require assistance from the army; the best example is the terrorist attack that Raging Silva handled.

Then we have the Colossal class of criminals, the police and the army will require assistance for these type of criminals. They are basically monsters or humans that were born with Exousía, heroes usually handle these level of criminals.

Then the Titan, we only had a single recorded case of a Titan incident and it happened ten years ago. A man suddenly went berserk and destroyed every car that he caught eyes on, he was like a crazy maniac that growls like a beast.

Back then, Panzer was a rookie and Raging Silva was in his third year as a hero. Both Panzer, Raging Silva and two other heroes fought against the lunatic man. They were able to subdue the man but it took them awhile to catch the guy, he was like a rabid but smart animal that fights while running.

Up to this day, Panzer still has the bite mark on his left arm that the lunatic man did. He bit Panzer so hard that it made Panzer retreat from the battle.

The crazy guy is now known as "Mad Dog", he is currently the rank 9 hero. Sounds crazy right?

But the truth is, Mad Dog grew in a secluded area in Japan. He was abandoned as a child, based on a DNA result his mother died long ago due to drug over dosage, his mother was a junkie.

He was raised by wild dogs and lived like an animal, seeing noisy big cars made him think that they are threat to himself and to every other creatures.

In one of his interviews few years ago, the incident was raised and he was asked directly what he was thinking back then. He answered:

"Well, I saw this big thing which I learned is called a bus right? I thought it was eating the humans. Then I looked around me, and I saw a lot of cars.. Inside of it were humans. So I thought, I should save them" said Mad Dog while blushing.

The interviewers burst in laughter while Mad Dog looked like he was being eaten by shame.

But that made our country embraced differences, we became more open and we now try to communicate with monsters.

To this day, there are now monsters living within the society, we call them Monmons. One of the notable figure is a serial criminal that steals a lot of nuts, a raccoon looking creature that is as tall as a human and as fluffy as an Angora Rabbit.

He is now called Mr. Coon, he is the representative of the Monmons and is favored to win as a congressman in Japan. Can you believe that?

Mr. Coon explained that creatures like him had no choice but to steal or be aggressive just to live. They are being hunted everyday for being different and people run away from them once they are sighted, the worst thing is that heroes just comes in to exterminate them just because they were seen in a place where they should not be.

"I have a friend who loves this monument near the jungle where we live, we usually go there and look at it then play around it. A man then saw us playing, he looked at us and we looked at him. He then walked away so we continued playing, moments later a hero came. Let me correct my first sentence, I had a friend who loved this monument" Mr. Coon said which clearly states despite not completing his story that his friend was killed by a hero just because they are called monsters.

"We never wanted to be different, we were born different. We never chose Japan where we should be born but Japan chose to bear us, why were we even born in a place where no one accepts us?" was the question asked that made the people of Japan open their hearts to Mr. Coon and his fellow monsters.

A lot of things changed after the first encounter with Mad Dog and when the government first interacted with the monsters. Today, a rule has been made that you cannot harm a monster if they didn't do any crime.

Monmons now are accepted in open arms, at least 70% of the consensus report said that they are happy to live with the Monmons but the 30% are still afraid to share the same living space with them.

Me personally, I think every living creature has the right to live. Our crime statistic says that major crimes and above are done by humans, not by these monsters who only stole food out of hunger and they only hurt people to defend themselves.

What really disgusted me is the fact that people with Exousía uses their abilities to do crime and it made me realize how scary the world of heroes are, despite living in luxury, getting fame and the influence they have to the people, they have this big chunk on their shoulders that says they may get injured or even die any given day in their line of duty.

Just thinking about it will not solve any problems, I can only do things that I can control. I'll need to be stronger, a lot stronger and hone my ability to make sure that I can protect myself and the people, even protect the Monmons.

I wonder of Mr. Oda has any connection with the existing heroes, I might need to get a few pointers on how I can make both my power ability and my dominion ability get a lot stronger.

I picked up my phone and sent an SMS message to Mr. Oda asking how can I go stronger.

Within ten minutes I received a response from my manager with instructions on how I can get stronger, it says:

"1. Do 50 push up when you wake up, 50 only because you don't want to strain your muscles.

2. Eat 3 eggs within the day.

3. Eat Spinach, Berries and drink Green Teas.

4. Do 100 push up in the afternoon.

5. Drink Milk before you sleep."

Hmm I think, I should count on my own and start creating connections with the existing heroes. I might meet some during the draft nigh, I'll make sure that I get their calling card so I could connect with them personally and ask how I can be stronger.

Oh yeah, I still have to respond to the message of Mr. Oda. I sent him a message saying my thanks, then he responded back again saying:

"I'll send you more steps how you can be stronger  :-) "

That smiley face made me feel that I should really not trust him, what kind of human uses that smiley!?