"Good morning," She announced, taking a seat on a cushion, "How did you sleep, Tsunami?"

"Well, thank you!" Tsunami replied, her voice sweet and crisp, "I made soup."

"Thank you," Sakura said gratefully, accepting the steaming bowl that Tsunami was holding in front of her face.

"I hear your training was quite intense yesterday." Tsunami began to make small talk, still bustling about in the kitchen.

"Yeah," Sakura agreed between greedy sips, "Kakashi really didn't hold back."

"You know, I always wanted to be a ninja." Tsunami muttered, almost to herself.

"Why didn't you?"

"My family didn't have the money and I was expected to keep the house and care for my siblings."

"Oh." Sakura grimaced, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be!" Tsunami chuckled, "I don't mind this life! It's just great to see such powerful young kunoichi these days. Makes me happy."

Sakura chuckled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm glad."

A few minutes later, Sasuke entered the kitchen, his shoulders lacking the characteristic tension that Sakura had become accustomed to.

"You slept well?" Sakura deduced, shooting him a gentle smile.

"Hn." Sasuke sat down next to her, accepting a bowl of miso soup, "Do you know what Kakashi is going to have us do today?"

"I think we're guarding the bridge for real."

"I'm glad we're finally getting back to our real job."

Sakura nodded uncomfortably. Though she wasn't afraid of changing too much now, she was worried that the slightest change in the timeline could kill Sasuke for good this time. He hovered on the line between life and death the last time he fought Haku; Sakura was unsure if he was stronger this time, given Sasuke's closed nature. She truly had no idea what he had in store.

"Where's Naruto?" Sasuke finally broke the tension that was manifesting in the silence.

"He seemed pretty beat by the time we got back yesterday. It may be a bit before he wakes up," Sakura shrugged, knowing full well that Naruto would show up at the last moment. Scratch that, she expected Naruto to show up. With the uncharacteristic behavior of Haku, Sakura was reduced to mere speculation.

"Of course. Typical of the dobe," Sasuke huffed, taking small, elegant sips of his soup.

"He's motivated, I'll give him that." Sakura nodded, thinking fondly of Naruto. For all of his idiosyncrasies, he truly was an extraordinary ninja.

Sasuke huffed again, far too proud to give Naruto any credit, even where credit was deserved. "We can begin the job without him."

"I suppose we can," Sakura agreed, hoping against all hope that this timeline was similar enough to give her this.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––--––––

Incipient dread stewed and boiled in Sakura's stomach. Every moment on the bridge brought her closer to the fight with Zabuza. So much remained in the air; the fight could be easier, perhaps, or it could be catastrophic. Either way would change the timeline enough for her to be entering events blind.

"What's wrong?" Sasuke frowned, looking at Sakura analytically. "You've gone pale."

"Oh, I guess I have," Sakura chuckled uncomfortably. "I genuinely don't know why."
"Are you nervous for the mission today?" Sasuke continued to probe.