stay sharp

"I don't like this one bit." said Nya through her intercom. I traced over the crowd as if I were examining some relic found by Clutch Powers. People clapped and recorded the emperor's speech, and it seemed so normal that I wanted to believe there wasn't any threat to the Royals. I placed a hand to my intercom, "I agree with Nya. If the Emperor likes his privacy, then why give such a public speech? And why now when they know the S.O.G. are after them?"

"I think it's nice." piped up Jay. "They're reaching out to people even in the face of danger." My nose twitched. "Reaching out? They're figureheads with no real power attempting suicide. What good would a speech do to 'reach out to the people'?" I questioned. Kai, from a roof over, gave me a look of curiosity. "Why all the hate girls?" 

"Their purpose is to be protected, as do all our traditions." Zane answered matter-of-factly. I shouldered my bow with an uncomfortable frown. "So they're freeloaders then." 

"No, don't say that." muttered Jay. "Think of them as...social influencers."

"Social influencers...tch."

By my side, Zane looked really, really smug. "I believe Master Lloyd has spotted something interesting." he said lightly. I raised a brow and followed his amused gaze to the young boy. Lloyd didn't look like he was focusing on the mission at all, but in fact, a girl. My jaw nearly dropped to the ground. Kai chuckled. "Looks like he's got an eye for the Princess." he said. 

I couldn't believe it, Lloyd Garmadon, the Green Ninja was developing his first crush on a girl he didn't even know. I groaned. "Lloyd needs to control his hormones. We still don't know what she's like, or if she's pretty under all that makeup. Who knows, maybe she's super fugly." 

"That's mean."

"Thanks Cole."

"You do know I can hear you, right?" said Lloyd. He removed his hand from his intercom and rolled his eyes. He muttered something before coming back online. "The Emperor's almost finished. Let's just do our job." Cheering erupted in the crowds. It was so loud that I thought all of Ninjago City could hear. The speech was complete, meaning that there was still a chance of a surprise attack. "Keep a lookout." ordered Lloyd.

I pursed my lips. There were so many people recording, photographing, and clapping that I wasn't sure where to look. For minutes, there was nothing. No suspicious persons, no shifty activity, no nothing. I nearly let go of my notched arrow. Then, a balloon with an all too familiar logo flew right past me. Chaos erupted like a volcano. People let out terrified screams as a 'BAM! BAM! BAM!' went off somewhere to my right, some fled, while others hid. I flipped down from the roof to investigate.

Through the fleeing crowds that pushed and shoved me, I could just barely make out Lloyd tackling the Royals to the ground. I was glad he had them covered, because that gave me the freedom to roam. I weaved through a bunch of pushing and shoving crowds. "Rude..." I squeezed through someone's legs and stumbled onto the half empty street. I stepped on something and let out a small yelp as it crackled and flickered. "You've got to be kidding me." 

I tsked and placed a hand to my ear. "False alarm. They're only firecrackers." Sighs of relief echoed on the intercom. As the team gathered to talk to Mr. Hutchins, I scoured the street for clues or leads. This couldn't have just been a false alarm. "They probably knew we were going to be here." I mumbled. My eyes traced up to the sky, where the balloon once was. Nothing added up. Why, out of the blue, would the S.O.G. logo appear at the same time fire crackers go off? I couldn't help but wonder who would be able to gather such detailed information for someone to plan something like this.

"(Y/n)!" 

"What?" I said without looking away.

"We're staying at the palace as guests!" exclaimed Jay. "That's great." I replied. It was great, really, but my worry was eating at me like acid. The disappearance of my uncle and teacher, Wu, left me lost. It wasn't that I needed guidance, it was just that nothing felt quite the same. Lloyd was now in charge, which was good for him, but it felt...off. Not just that, this whole S.O.G. thing was getting on my nerves. What would one need for an Oni mask? What power did it hold? I kicked at the ground in frustration.