​🇹​​🇭​​🇪​ ​🇰​​🇮​​🇳​​🇬​​🇩​​🇴​​🇲​ ​🇼​​🇴​​🇷​​🇩​​🇸​

"I am trapped in this marriage, with no escape in sight. Take me back to Spain, where I belong. Here, in England, I am suffocating; the thought of marrying the Duke's son is unbearable. I cannot fathom spending my life with him; he is repulsive in appearance, dark of soul, and stray from the true faith. I feel it deep within me—the conviction that God has a different path planned for me."

In my desperation, I confided in Eustace Chapuys, hoping for guidance or solace. His reaction is one of speechless concern, unsure of how to offer counsel in the face of my distress. "The King's will dictates your future, my lady," he begins cautiously, attempting to reassure me. "Marrying into the Duke's family may bring you happiness in time. Patience and understanding can foster contentment. But know this: To return to Spain with you would be treason, risking both our lives and inviting war upon our shores."

I longed for a savior, someone to rescue me from this fate ordained by kings and politics. My mother, the late Queen, would never have allowed such a match. She would have secured a union worthy of my stature, not consigned me to a loveless marriage with a spy of Anne Boleyn.

Time slips away, each passing moment marking the relentless march towards an unwanted union. I dream of a life devoted to God, of serving Him as a nun, free from the machinations of courtly intrigue. But as the ambassador departs, leaving me to ponder my fate alone, I realize that escape is my only recourse.

I plot and scheme, weighing my options as I pace the confines of my chamber. Suicide is not an option; damnation is a fate I refuse to accept. So I resolve to fight, to resist the shadows that threaten to consume my innocence. I will survive, I will flee this prison called England, and I will never look back.

The following day, I seek out Eustace Chapuys once more, determined to make my plea for freedom heard. Alone in his office, I lay bare my heart's desire—that we should wed in secret and seek sanctuary in Spain. His initial shock gives way to hesitant consideration, but ultimately, he cannot accept my proposal.

Defeated but undeterred, I stand firm in my conviction. "It is God's will," I insist, refusing to accept any other outcome. And though he may not share my faith in this divine mandate, I am resolute in my belief that our union is ordained by a higher power.

As we part ways, I leave him with a final ultimatum: meet me at the chapel tonight or accept that our paths diverge. Whatever his decision, I am prepared to face my fate with courage and faith in the righteousness of my cause.

London, England, 1537. 

WHITEHALL CHAPEL

As night descends, the chapel lies shrouded in an ethereal glow, illuminated by the sacred light of God

As night descends, the chapel lies shrouded in an ethereal glow, illuminated by the sacred light of God. Midnight has arrived, and within these hallowed walls, I find myself lost in hours of contemplation, pondering the uncertain path that lies ahead. Should the Ambassador refuse my plea for marriage, I know I have options—seeking sanctuary within the confines of a convent, where I could dedicate myself to God without the approval of my earthly father. Yet, as the moments slip away, I cannot shake the hope that the Ambassador will honor his word and become my husband, providing a lifeline to safety and freedom.

Turning to the priest beside me, I voice my concerns, questioning whether the ambassador's allegiance truly lies with the Holy Roman Emperor or if he might betray me to curry favor with the King. Charles V's ambitions are well known; his hunger for power is matched only by his thirst for wealth. But despite my doubts, I hold fast to the belief that the Ambassador will not forsake me and that his commitment to our cause runs deeper than mere political expediency.

Hours earlier, a messenger delivered a missive from Lady Mary Tudor, her words a mixture of urgency and desperation. Initially dismissive, I soon realized the gravity of her situation—the prospect of marriage, a means of escape from the suffocating confines of Whitehall Palace. Her plea resonated with me, stirring a sense of duty and compassion within my heart.

The proposal, though unexpected, seemed the only course of action to secure Mary's freedom. She languishes as a prisoner in her own home, subjected to the ridicule and scorn of the King and his courtiers. It is a fate I cannot abide by, and so I resolved to meet her at the chapel, eschewing written correspondence to avoid the prying eyes of those who would seek to thwart our plans.

But such actions do not come without risk. To defy the King is to invite death and face the ultimate punishment for treason against the crown. Yet, in the face of such peril, I am steadfast in my resolve, prepared to sacrifice everything for the chance to right the wrongs that have befallen Lady Mary and to flee the heresy that plagues the English court.