chapter nineteen

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                   Jane sat with her arms crossing her chest. She watched as Selina slept on her back, coming back to consciousness since the surgery. Bruce had left Jane there to run to the G.C.P.D to tell them he was getting supplies flown in. Deep down, Jane wanted to go with him. She was afraid any moment Selina would wake up and confront her about what Jeremiah did to her. Jane's guilt couldn't take much more. 

According to the doctor, the surgery worked; her spine would be fine. But it was still most likely she would never walk again. Jane couldn't even imagine what she was going through. Selina was always on her feet. She like a cat, being able to climb and jump without a trace. Now, she was stuck to a wheelchair, unable to walk for the rest of her life. 

Jane leaned back. The fight in the basement had left Jane tired. Plus, the emotional baggage of all the shit going on around her was taking quite the toll. The light from the window cascaded down on her. It made her feel nice after all the darkness the night had brought. A strange feeling surged through Jane. She turned her head to look out the window and frowned. It felt like someone was watching her. She was going to get up to see if she could spot the gaze when a voice stopped her. "Well, look who decided to finally face me."

Jane's body tensed as she turned to face Selina who sat up slightly. Selina's expression was blank as she stared at the nervous redhead. 

After another moment, Jane opened her mouth to speak. "Selina, I-"

She was interrupted by Bruce storming in and then abruptly stopping after seeing the two exchange words. "Selina, you're up." He slowed his pace and then sat in the chair across from Jane. "How are you?"

Selina paused and spoke softly. "Doc says the surgery was a success. My spine's not gonna turn to jelly." Her eyes shifted from a spot on the bed to Jane. "Still never gonna be able to walk again, so that's a bummer."

Jane gulped, her heart starting to beat faster. Bruce paused, trying to stay as neutral as possible. He was more emotional then he wanted to lead on. "There's limited resources here. But there's hope once we join the mainland."

Selina remained unemotional. "Gee. For a second there, I was worried."

Awkward tension filled the space. Bruce leaned closer. "Selina, I know you're in pain. Some medicine is on its way."

Jane thought back to Bruce's plan to have supplies be flown in. It definitely wasn't going to be that simple. If it were that simple, the cops would've done it ages ago. But she didn't want to ruin Bruce's hope. At least he still had some. 

"You know what's funny?" Selina's voice got a little louder. "Jeremiah shot me to get to you. And his kid sister just stays around as if she wanted, as if she wasn't an accomplice to this." Selina glared at Jane. Jane had to pinch herself discreetly to stop from tearing up. She regretted ever getting taken from Jeremiah. Selina then looked back at Bruce. "After all the things I've done what did me in was being your friend." Selina took a deep breath before taking her unemotional stance once again. "I just wish Jeremiah killed me."

Me too, Selina, Jane thought. Me too.

--------------------------