chapter sixteen

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

seriously its been two chapters without any comments, i'm losing motivation

---------

                  "Jeremiah, Jeremiah!"

The follower's booming voices echoed the walls of the small bunker as Jeremiah walked into the room. Jane stood at the end, in front of the followers with her hands behind her back. Her face was blank as she waited to watch Gotham City fall. Jeremiah was keeping his end of the bargain and was preparing to blow up the buildings hours earlier than he originally gave them. 

Jeremiah took his time walking down, clearly enjoying every moment. 

"All my life I spent by myself, hidden away." He spoke very purposefully, trying to be as dramatic as he could. "I am so glad to be sharing this happy moment with all of you." He was getting closer to the front now. "Today marks the dawning of a new Gotham City. One where we will all be free." Finally he reached the front, turning and showing them the clicker. He smiled. "Shall I do the honors?"

Jane wanted to scream. Was she really letting all of these people be killed just because she was terrified of her older brother? Was she really that spineless?

If you let this happen, you are.

Just let him do it. These people deserve what's coming to them.

They're the ones that let you rot in that cell in Arkham. Saying you were a danger to society.

Jane's jaw tightened. She tried not to listen to them. Some of these people were children. 

The television that stood next to Jane got louder as a voice caught her attention. It wasn't until one from the crowd yelled out, "That's Jim Gordon!" that Jane realized why. Jane's eyes widen as she turned her head to look at the screen directly. 

She heard another voice. "He's not dead!"

Oh no. This wasn't good. Jeremiah was going to get angry.

All the attention in the room went to the screen. Gordon started speaking. "This is a message to the followers of Jeremiah Valeska. Jeremiah claims to have killed me. Well, bad news, I'm alive." The followers started to muttering to each other. Jane's anxiety started to rise. The last thing she needed was for Jeremiah to be angry. It wouldn't end well for Jane. 

Jane could hear Jeremiah next to her speaking softly, "No. No, that was a trick. I killed him."

Gordon continued, "So, just know, you're worshiping a fraud. A pale imitation of Jerome. You did your worst, Jeremiah. And I'm still here."

Jane's heart beat so fast as she turned her head to face her brother. Jeremiah didn't look back at her but she could see the hardness, the look of murder. 

It didn't help when the followers started yelling. "You lied to us!" Both siblings' heads snapped towards them.

"Gordon's alive!"

"Doesn't matter whether he's alive." He rose the switch again. "When I hit this switch, you'll hear the sounds of a new world being born. Our world. Now, listen." 

Everyone watched in anticipation as Jeremiah turned the switch. Everyone waited, looking around, trying to see if they could hear anything. After another moment, Jeremiah got nervous and started switching it back and forth, but nothing worked. The followers were now angry.