chapter nine

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTING YOUR REACTIONS TO THINGS THAT HAPPEN DURING THE CHAPTER AND JUST THE CHAPTER IN GENERAL

---------

                 Jane sat on the floor, her legs stretched out in front of her. Her back was against her wall, as well as her head. They were still in the relatively small room Jeremiah had trapped them in with no sign of movement from the outside. Jane had no clue where they were. How big was the place they were in? Was there anyone else here besides their brother?

Jerome had woke up not too long ago and had started antagonizing the camera Jeremiah was using to spy on them. He kept speaking into it, saying sentences of fake love and affection that really came out rather threatening than sweet. All Jerome wanted was a reaction, and he wasn't getting it. 

Despite being in a rather unfortunate situation, Jerome had kept a calm disposition, making Jane on alert. Jerome hadn't mentioned a back-up plan if the original plan didn't work out so she was in the dark. 

However, the moment the red lights were turned on for a moment and the door to their cell popped open, Jane saw Jerome's face. She saw pure joy and preparedness for what was ahead. He pulled from his internal jacket pocket a small gun and sent Jane a smile. "Show time!"

Jane stood, suddenly ready but also not entirely. They were about to see the man she hated more than anything. But this time, they would be in control, not him. He would be weak. He would be small. She gave him a final nod before joining him outside the hall. The lights had returned to normal but they were left with similar gray lifeless walls as their cell. There was no indication where to go and it made so much sense. This would be a kind of place their brother would live in. 

Jane looked up at her brother to see a sick smile on his face. He was figuring it out as well as she was. They made eye contact and both said the same thing at the same time. "It's a maze."

Growing up, Jeremiah would make them like crazy. Jerome would often just watch him make them, but for Jane it was a much personal experience. At a young age, Jane would be his lab rat, trying out each maze he would create to see if it was good enough. If she didn't get it, it was good. If she did, it wasn't. However, that was a double edge sword as whenever she got it wrong, she would face a beating, each time getting progressively worse. 

So she took a deep breath in the current maze Jeremiah created and opened them more focused than ever. After all of those years, she would figure it out. He wasn't getting away from them. Not after all she went through to get here.

Jane turned and faced the opposite direction they were in and pointed. "That way."

--------------------------

"Hello brother."

Jerome's voice echoed off the walls as he corned Jeremiah by the exit of his maze of a home. He held his gun close to their brother's face and gave him a toothy smile. "So, how you been? You look great!" He laughed. "To think I used to be the handsome one, right?"

Jane turned the corner and looked at her two brothers, being reunited at once. Jeremiah's eyes went straight to her, slightly widening at the sight. It had been so many years. They both were in shock. Jeremiah looked much older and much saner than Jerome. His freckles had gone down and his hair looked so perfect, not a single hair was out of place. On the tip of his nose were glasses that made him look much more mature. He didn't look like the kid she remembered, the kid that haunted her.