ONE

THE CLICKING sound of high heels could be heard through the halls of Fox River Psych ward as Marie Reynolds made her way through the hall.

"Good evenin', Doc." the guard standing by the entrance greeted her as she sent him a polite smile. "Evening, Brad. How are you today?" she asked, the infirmary keys dangling from her hand. "You know, the usual." he answered, a paper cup of coffee in his hand. "You?" he grinned, nodding his head towards the woman who sighed deeply.

"Another emergency call. Seems like someone got into trouble, again." she exclaimed, taking a glance at her watch. "Better go check what's up." she gave him a pat on the shoulder before continuing her route towards the ambulance. She walked up the stairs and into the infirmary hurriedly, silently greeting the guards before skipping over to Karen, the receptionist.

"Good evening, Karen." Marie greeted, a small smile plastered on her face as her tired eyes glanced at the elderly woman in front of her. "I wouldn't call it 'good'." Karen sighed, putting down the newspapers she'd previously been reading. "Fernando Sucre is waiting for you in the patient room, says it's an emergency." Karen exclaimed, opening her drawer and pulling out a yellow folder with his name written on it. Marie nodded, shrugging off her coat and hanging it on the rack. "You want some coffee?" Karen asked, making Marie shake her head no before taking the folder and making her way towards the room. She pulled out her key and unlocked the door, making the tan bald man turn his head towards her. He smiled widely, obviously excited that she came. "Oh Doc, you have no idea how happy I am you came!" he said, squirming in his seat as Marie pulled her chair closer to him.

"Yeah, Karen called me. Said it was an emergency, but from what I see you're far from injured." she sat down, looking the inmate up and down. He looked at his feet sheepishly before taking out a piece of paper from his pocket. "What's that?" Marie asked, glaring at the paper in confusion.

"What's another word for love, Doc?" he questioned, Marie's eyes widening at the question.
"Um," she frowned, obviously confused, "there is a very wide spectrum of words associated with love, so it depends on what you're trying to say." she crossed her legs, leaning into her chair.

"You know, 'I love you so much, I ain't never knocking over a liquor store again' context. Except, you know, classy." he explained, making Marie nod.
"Interesting." she said, "Try passion." she offered him her pen, which he quickly took, eagerly writing the words on his paper. "Adoration, dedication, yearning." she continued, her hand tapping on her knee as she thought about it. "Forgive me if I'm prying, but what exactly is this for?" she finally asked, making Sucre lift his eyes up from the paper.

"I'm proposing to my girl." he smiled as Marie looked at him amusedly. "You're proposing to Maricruz?" he nodded. "Over a letter?" she then asked, making him chuckle. "Is there another way?" he sadly exclaimed. "Well..." Marie started, "Face to face is a pretty good way."

"This place ain't exactly a romantic spot, Doc." he said, lifting his cuffed arms up in the air, "I'm having her get on the Ferris, and when she can see the Empire State building, she opens the letter." he claps his hands together, explaining his plan to Marie, who just smiled at the man amusedly. "It's like almost being there!" he laughed, obviously very content with himself.

"Sucre." Marie said, interrupting his daydream, "Why don't you propose to her when you're out of here? You don't have a lot of time left." she suggested. "It's more likely she'll say yes to a free man." she said, but regretted the words upon seeing the sad look on his face. "I feel like I'm losing her, Doc. I can't wait any longer."

"If that's what you think, then go for it." she smiled at him before waving her hand at the CO. "Thanks, Doc." Sucre said, putting the paper back in his pocket before the guard entered, leading him out by the handcuffs.