Chapter 11

Dumbledore dipped the goblet into the gleaming liquid and brought it to his lips. He drank it deeply and closed his eyes. "Professor?" Dumbledore shook his head, silencing Harry, then dipped the goblet once more. Twice more he drank. His hands trembled and he gripped the side of the basin.

"Professor? Can you hear me?" Dumbledore said nothing as the corners of his eyes twitched. His hand trembled, savagely this time, and he nearly dropped the goblet. Harry reached out and steadied his hand.

"Don't-don't make me." Harry eyed Dumbledore's anguished face and steeled himself.

"You- you can't stop, Professor. You've got to keep drinking. Like you said. Remember." Harry looked around as anxiety gripped his heart.

"No!!" Harry staggered back, so primal is Dumbledore's plea. Dumbledore's arm went slack and the goblet clanged dully against the side of the basin. Harry took a breath and stepped forward, places his hand over Dumbledore's and lifted the cup.

"Make it stop. Please, make it stop." Dumbledore pleaded to Harry, but Harry didn't stop the goblet.

"It will, sir. It'll stop. But only if you drink." Harry's own hand was trembled now. He tipped the goblet over Dumbledore's lips.

"My fault. It's all my fault." Harry brought  the goblet up once more and Dumbledore drank it."Too much, I can't, take it. I want, to die. kill. kill me. kill me, Harry!"

"What?" Harry asked Dumbledore and staled his hand.

"Your word, Harry! Your word!" Dumbledore yelled out and Harry shook his head. He couldn't do it anymore.

"No."

"Kill me! It's the only way!" Harry stood paralyzed, unsure what to do. Then, Dumbledore collapsed and rolled onto his back. Harry pelted forward and dipped the goblet into the basin and kneeled by Dumbledore.

"One more. Just one more. And then -- I promise... I'll do what you say." Dumbledore, jaw clinched shut, eyed Harry. "I promise."

Dumbledore's jaw relaxed and Harry pried open his mouth. He tipped the liquid down his throat. Pain rippled through Dumbledore's face. He tried to speak, but nothing came out of his mouth. 

Harry eyed him with trepidation, fearful of what he will request. Again and again Dumbledore struggled and then, his eyes opened. They found Harry.

"Water." A shudder of relief went through Harry. Grinning, he leaped to the basin. A golden locket now laid at the bottom. Harry snatched it up. "Water."

"Aguamenti." Instantly cold clear water rose in the basin. "You did it, sir. Look-" Harry frowned the he was that the goblet was empty.

"Water!" Harry dipped the goblet into the basin yet again and brought it to Dumbledore's lips. 

But once again it was empty. Dumbledore tried to speak, but his lips were cracking and his tongue like sand. He gulped drily for air.

"I'm trying, sir. I'm-" Harry stopped. 

All is silent, except for the soft lapping of the lake. He considered the ghostly shapes gliding just below the surface. 

Deciding, he dipped the goblet into the dark water. Instantly, the Lake begain to churn. Harry backed away, the goblet sloshing in his hand. Faces, pale and haunted, quivered in the roiling water.

Harry tipped the water into Dumbledore's mouth. Dumbledore blinked and his tongue probed his lower lip. 

----

Olivia laid on a bed in the Wesley house. Her face was scrunched up as pain flared through her. Mrs. Weasley dipped a rag into a bowl of ice water and laid it on Olivia's forehead.