Chapter 8

"If Dumbledore's traveling places, it's news to the Ministry. But get this: that night at Borgin & Burkes? It seems Draco was looking at a Vanishing Cabinet." Harry told Hermione as they walked.

"What would Draco want with a Vanishing Cabinet?" She asked and Harry shrugged. 

"You tell me." Hermione frowned and pondering that.

"He looks different, don't you think? Draco. Almost... ill." Hermione and Harry shared a look and they both sighed.

"Who could tell the difference?"

"Lav, c'mon. Of course I'll wear it." They glanced ahead and saw Ron and a pouting Lavender. Ron held a gold chain which spells out "My Sweetheart."

"That's my Won-Won." Olivia gagged as she walked over to them.

"Excuse me, I have to go vomit." Hermione turned to Olivia. "Don't you have class?" 

 "Nah, forgot it was canceled today." As Hermione exited with Olivia. Harry spied Ginny, in an alcove, sitting by as Dean laughing with Seamus. Looking up, she saw Harry and gave him a feeble wave. He waves back at her.

----

Crackling embers of a fireplace. A much younger and more smartly dressed Slughorn probed a dish of crystallized pineapple. He held a court before 16-year-old Tom Riddle and five other boys. The crystal hourglass sat on a side table.

"Sir, is it true that Professor Merry thought is retiring?" Slughorn chuckled and wagged a sugar-encrusted finger at Riddle.

"Now, Tom, I couldn't tell you if I knew, could I? I must say, m'boy, I'd like to know where you get your information. More knowledgeable than half the staff, you are." The other boys laughed. "By the way, thank you for the pineapple, you're quite right, it is my favorite, how is it you knew?"

"Intuition." Riddle smiled, but his expression suggests intuition had nothing to do with it. Slughorn chuckled uneasily.

"Good gracious, look at the time. Off you go, boys, or Professor Dippett will have us all in detention. Lestrange, Avery, don't forget your essays." As the others filed out, Slughorn busied himself with some papers. He turned and found Riddle still there, standing by the crystal hourglass.

"Look sharp, Tom. You don't want to be caught out of bed after hours." Riddles let out a laugh and Slughorn bite the inside of his cheek.

"I know a secret shortcut or two." Slughorn let out an uneasy chuckle.

"Yes, I imagine you do. Something on your mind, Tom?"

"Yes, sir. I couldn't think of anyone else to go to. The other professors, well, they're not like you. They might, misunderstand." 

"Go on." Riddle slipped off the ring on his left hand and began to rolling it between his fingers. It was set with a black stone.

"I was in the library the other night, in the Restricted section, and I read something rather odd, about a bit of rare magic, and I thought perhaps you could illuminate me." Suddenly, a dense fog engulfed the room and Slughorn's voice twisted.

"I don't know anything about such things and I wouldn't tell you if I did! Now get out of here at once and don't ever let me catch you mentioning it again!" He yelled out.

----

The fog grew thicker and the swirling Pensieve. Harry blinked and found Dumbledore studying him from across the room. Olivia coughed and moved away to take a deep breath. "Confused? I would be surprised if you weren't." 

"I don't understand." Olivia stood up as Harry spoke.

"What happened?" Olivia asked and Dumbledore shrugged.