▪︎Chapter Forty Eight▪︎

Start from the beginning

"Hey, sorry I'm late. Traffic was nasty on the way here." I conveyed once I got inside and took my seat.

"It's cool. You know I'd wait forever on you." I tucked in my bottom lip to prevent myself from smiling. His level of courtesy and patience was beyond comprehension.

"I appreciate that. Did you order yet?" I questioned as I waved the waitress over so I could get a beverage.

"Nah, didn't want your food to get cold since I didn't know when you'd get here." While the waitress was still in our presence, we went ahead and ordered our usual. She disappeared then returned just as quickly with my drink, before disturbing again to submit our order.

"So, what did you wanna talk to me about?" I sipped my drink, with my eyes focused on him. On the drive to the restaurant I drove myself crazy wondering what was on his mind.

"Damn, just straight to the point huh? How you been?" He tried staring our conversation in another direction but I wasn't having it.

"Khayoné I'm being serious. What's up?" The smile his face held quickly disappeared upon hearing his full name. He stroked his beard and averted his gaze before responding.

"I'm leaving." My eyebrows knitted together instantly. I was by no means expecting him to say that.

"As in the country?" He nodded yes.

"But why?" This entire moment screamed familiarity. Our conversation had taken a similar course as twenty one year olds when he informed me that he was moving back to South Africa. Just as it did in the past, I felt my heart slowly been chipped away.

The waitress waltzed over with our food before he could responded. Our conversation paused as he reached across the table, held my hands and said grace. I bypassed the reverence as my opened eyes stay on him. I watched as he kept his head down, drizzling his fries with ketchup. He finally looked up at me while popping one in his mouth.

"Why Khayo?" I reiterated my question. He sighed heavily before responding.

"My father is sick. They say he doesn't have much time left." He spoke sadly. My heart broke further on his behalf knowing how close the two are.

"I'm sorry to hear. Despite what they say I hope he gets better." He offered a genuinely smile before he resumed eating. I followed suit as silence fell around us. My mind had been racing, rendering me mute. There had been an internal war going on within me. I understood why Khayo had to leave but at the same time I didn't want him to. Despite TJ reentrance, he had remained a true friend to me and cared for Thyssen as well.

Done eating, we were yet to utter a word. Once he waved the waitress over, requested the bill and paid, we found ourselves just staring at each other. A host of emotions conveyed by our eyes only. Simultaneously we checked out watches, taking it as our cue to leave. We walked side by side to my car, his hands tucked deep inside his pockets. I turned to face his after unlocking my door. He offered a half smile before finally speaking.

"I'll miss you." The absolute truth lacing his voice.

"When do you leave?" I endeavored to keep my emotions in check.

"Monday."

"Damn, that's in two days. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I honestly just booked the ticket this morning. I was a lil indecisive." He shrugged.

"Do you have any idea when you'll be back?" I had a sneaking feeling he wasn't returning anytime soon but I held on to a thinning hope.

"I don't know. I won't be back for a while. Maybe I can fly you and Thyssen out to come see me once I get settled. My mother would be happy to see you." I rolled my lips inward and blinked heavily trying to keep the tears at bay.