▪︎Chapter Thirty Two▪︎

Adrenaline coursed through my veins, my lungs felt as though they were on fire and my heart beat rapidly against my chest as I sprinted through Landover Park as part of my fitness routine. Up tempo music blared through my headphones giving me the added motivation I needed to complete my early morning run. The sun had just barely risen and the cool breeze caressed my skin with each stride. Though my calves burned, the rest of me was feeling pretty good. After completing the desired number of miles, I started a steady jog before halting altogether. I stretch my limbs to avoid getting any cramps, and inhaled the freshness of the air.

Satisfied with my workout, I started heading back to my car. However, my journeyed had been interrupted by a sudden change in the atmosphere. The sun dipped entirely and ceased giving it's light. A tempestuous wind blew, almost knocking me off my feet. A sudden flash of lightning nearly hijacked my sight and a roaring thunder rocked the heavens. Cold chills slithered down my spine as fear overtook me. Looking around nervously, I found that the previous patrons were no longer there and I was left alone in the now desolate park.

The sky darkened further until my vision was obscured. Desperate to escape this nightmare, I felt my way around in the hopes of getting to my car. After what felt like ten minutes of blind walking, pain course through my ribs as I crashed right into what felt like the rear end of a car. Hitting the unlock button on my key, I prayed that the car was mind. Hearing the locks clicked I smiled, grateful that I was final able get out of this horror scene. However, I froze in place once I felt the front of my shirt dampen. I brought a hand to my shirt in an attempt to examine the unknown substance. Rubbing it between my fingers I knew there was no way it could be sweat.

Finding the courage to hop in my car, I hit the lights in the roof. Looking at my hands my heart skipped ceased beating momentarily as I realized my entire palm was a shade of crimson. Turning on the flashlight on my cellphone, I cautiously exited my car and journeyed to the back to pinpoint just where the blood cap from. All the color drained from my face once I noticed blood was dripping from my trunk. Popping it open, my knees buckled at the sight. My brother's body laid lifeless with multiple lacerations about his body and a gunshot wound to the head. He seemed to have been murdered not too long along ago. I fell to my knees and released a gut wrenching screen as I witnessed my brother's death all over again.

Beads of sweat cascaded down my face and my heart pumped rapidly as I jerked upward and looked around my office frantically. It was nearing 12:00a.m and I was still at work. However, I must've dozed off at some point as I was just awakened by yet another nightmare. Three weeks had passed since the first one and they just kept coming every night, whether they were the same as the first or in other variations like the one I'd just had.

My sleep schedule had been thrown out of wack since then and I've been nothing short of miserable. However, at work I was forced to put on a façade that I was okay and able to perform my job. At home I also pretended as though I was fine so that Londyn would quit suggesting that I see a professional. I knew I'd get over this period in my life, I just needed time.

Truth be told, I was tired. Not just physically but I was also mentally exhausted. I longed for a break from my present reality. As desperation settled in, I knew tonight would be the night that I got my escape.

After bidding my colleagues a farewell and securing my office, I headed out for the night. Rather than heading home, I decided to journey to a neighborhood I hadn't been to since I was a teenager. Turning up the volume of stereo close to its maximum level, I tried my hardest to drown out my thoughts. Not only was work and the nightmares stressing me out but also my relationship. I had gotten better at spending time with Londyn and Amalie but I feared that it still wasn't enough, the vibe between us felt a little off lately.