▪︎Chapter Forty Four▪︎

Four months later...

Despite tossing and turning all night, I woke up eager to face the day. Amidst the restlessness and nightmares, I had somehow regained my memory. Though it hadn't been totally restored, I remembered enough to know that I wasn't a murderer. Once the guards made their rounds to release us for breakfast, I bypassed the dining area and headed straight to the phones. Today was one of those days that I'd sacrifice my call to Londyn, I needed to relay my new revelation to my attorney. Hurriedly, I dialed his number and prayed that he answered. It was Sunday and I hated to interrupt his family time but I felt like it was important.

"Hey Thau. What's up?" He greeted once he finally picked up. I could hear giggling in the background and I felt a tinge of sadness as I wasn't able to spend time with my princess.

"Sorry to disturb you, but I think I finally remember what happened the night of the murder man." I beamed, getting excited again.

"That's great, but you know with appellate court you can't present any new evidence, just revisit the facts of the old case." A wave of dejection washed over as reality set in. I had allowed my excitement to get the best of me. He was right, working closely with the judicial system over the years I knew the facts.

"You're right." I said, sadly.

"I'm sorry, but I do have some good news for you that I think would definitely help our case. I'll come by first thing in the morning so we can discuss everything.

"Aight, see you tomorrow." Before hanging up he offered words of encouragement as he always did. He had to be the best attorney I had ever come across. He genuinely cared for his clients and wasn't just about securing his bottom line.

After leaving the phone area, I journeyed back to my cell. I opted not to have breakfast since my appetite evaded me. With my excitement long gone, I had a chance to think with a sober mind. Although my attorney claimed to have good news he had yet to inform me of a date when he'd go to court which was enough to fuel my anxiety on a daily basis. My son was scheduled to make his debut into the world in three weeks and I was slowly losing hope that I'd be able to witness his birth.

"Harvey!" I was startled from my thoughts as a guard banged his baton against the cell's gate. He was one of many who sought to mess with me every chance he got. I usually had to remind myself that I had children, to prevent myself from reacting to their obvious abuse of power.

"What? Even on Sunday I can't catch a break?" Irritation laced my voice

"Actually, today is your lucky day. You do have a visit though." He shrugged then started walking off. He had to be the laziest of all the guards but I wasn't complaining. I was grateful for the opportunity to not be escorted. As I left my cell and got closer to the visitation area, my curiosity was taken care of as I zeroed in on my visitor. It was Matthews, the only one who hadn't turned his back on me.

"What's good TJ?" He stood up, dapped me and offered a one handed hug which I gladly reciprocated. That was another reason why I didn't mind the guard's laziness, he didn't even bother cuff me like he should've so I was free to do whatever I wanted.

"Ain't nothing good in here bro. What's good with you? Settle down yet?" It was no secret that my former colleague was a first class womanizer. I used to wonder where he found the time to entertain women when our jobs were so time consuming.

"Man you know me, ain't no slowing down. Life's great."

"Wassup with your appeal though?" He inquired.

"My attorney seems confident but he hasn't even gotten a date yet so I don't know. I'm tryna remain hopeful though but it's been a struggle." I admitted.