▪︎Chapter Forty Eight▪︎

"Girl, what are you feeding him?" Ryah questioned jokingly as I handed Thyssen over to her. It was a Friday afternoon and she offered to watch the kids, affording me a much needed break. It had been four months since Thyssen's birth, and although I was slowly adjusting to motherhood I still wasn't quite there yet. However, Thyssen's progress was testament that I was doing okay. He was happy, healthy and loved unconditionally. He had long grown into his milk chocolate complexion. His bright orbs, chubby cheeks and head full of natural curls was enough to charm anyone.

I chuckled,"Just breast milk and a whole lot of love. Right boo?" I kissed his cheek repeatedly making him giggle. His joy coupled with the way his deep brown eyes lit up always seemed to warm my heart. Somedays I couldn't believe that I had even questioned whether I wanted to keep him or not when I discovered I was pregnant.

"And why you got these sandals on him?" She teased.

"What's wrong with them?" I countered. Ryah was always with the jokes which was one of the many reasons I loved her.

"Got my nephew looking like he bout to do a mean barbecue." She erupted with laughter, prompting a laugh to escape my lips always.

"Sis leave my child alone." I managed to say between laughs.

"Anyways," I spoke once my laughter died down,"I'm bout to head out to start my day of relaxation."

"Baby girl make sure TeTe Ryah takes care of Ty okay?" Amalie, who also came along with us was surprisingly still at my side despite knowing that her best friend Ajahni was inside. However, she was very protective of her Buba and oftentimes wouldn't leave his side unless she really had to. She had been the perfect big sister thus far and I admired her bond with him.

"As always mommy."

"Nah sis. You not staying here, better hop in the car and go back home with your momma." Ryah joked making Amalie giggle. She was practically one of the Carter kids now as my family treated her as though she was biologically mine.

"Y'all have fun, I'm out freal now." I gave Thyssen and Amalie a parting kiss before hopping in my car, gearing up to reverse out the driveway. Just as my foot met the gas pedal my cellphone started blaring. Retrieving it from the passenger seat, a huge smile spread across my face once I noticed the caller's ID. I wasted no time answering.

"Hey Khayo."

"What's good sunshine?" He greeted, I could hear the smile in his voice. An imagine of him flashing me his pearly whites danced across my mind.

"Just leaving Ryah's house. I dropped off the kids, bout to get some rest."

"Oh, aight. Sounds like a plan."

"What's up with you?" I shifted the phone to other ear while simultaneously trying to set up the bluetooth on the car stereo.

"Not much. I wanted to see you but I guess it can wait. Not trying to disturb your chill day." The disappointment in his voice was evident. I sensed that whatever he wanted to see me about was important, and as such I was willing to at least give him a hour of my time.

"It's fine, we can meet somewhere since I'm already out the house."

"You sure?" Always being the considerate one, I knew he really didn't want to bother me despite the presumed importance of the matter.

"Yes Khayo, I'm sure."

"Meet me at our spot then." I happily agreed with his choice, and cited that I'd be there in about twenty minutes. After that we exchanged good byes and hung up.

Given the heavy traffic which I unfortunately encountered, I ended up arriving at the restaurant forty minutes later. Fortunately though, the parking lot had plenty of space and I pulled up beside Khayo's car. Walking towards the restaurant I spotted him through the glass window, seated at our favorite spot and sipping his drink.