chapter 5

· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ 05 « swelling rage »

Staring at my phone, I could feel the corner of my lips twitching and curving up in to an amused smile. Somehow, I always got along better with people who had something wrong with them. I knew that I was secretly drawn to messed up individuals because of my own toxic nature, but I couldn't help myself. Even if I tried, I had no idea how to really connect with normal people. We didn't have anything in common, nothing to talk about. Perhaps that was the reason why I made an instant bond with detective Byun Baekhyun, who just sent me a very peculiar message.

I'm looking for a nightlife guide.

He was looking for trouble. He craved it. He wanted to do something bad. I wondered if in the end, he would be prepared to take the blame for everything that happened. He wanted to do the crime, but was he ready to do the time too?

No, you don't want to go down that road, detective. You're just lonely. Or angry. Or sad. Or all three of those things.

It was obvious that him and the serious-faced woman, Yasuko, had another fight and instead of talking it out with her, he was acting childish and messaging another girl.

My girlfriend kicked me out of our apartment again.

Was he expecting love advice from me? Did I look like the type of person who knew anything about things like that? What was it that managed to fool him?

I was about to reply something to the detective who sent me a message, but I instantly locked my phone when Seulgi suddenly rested her chin on my shoulder and draped her arm around me. She started tracing with her fingers over the exposed skin on my neck and her dark eyes were carefully watching me. '' Who are you texting instead of giving me your full attention? Am I not entertaining enough for you? Perhaps I should've called someone else to help me tonight? ''

She was purposely saying things like that, just to get a reaction out of me. She knew very well that I dropped everything that I was doing as soon as I got her message, even if I despised the work that we were planning to do, just as much as she did. Every now and then, we got people who were pretending to be part of the bunny girls and we had no choice but to get rid of them. The founder of our sisterhood, harbored a special hatred for individuals like that and she gave us no other choice.

'' I was texting the detective, '' I reluctantly admitted and glanced towards her. Seulgi and I were sitting in one of the compartments of the subway train. Our fake bunny ears were covered by the hoods of our jackets, we were wearing matching pink tennis skirts and Seulgi had one of her legs hanging over mine.

Her eyes glimmered with newfound interest. '' Baekhyun? Or what was his name again? It doesn't matter anyway, since he'll be gone soon... How's that going, by the way? ''

'' It's progressing. '' I regretted mentioning him to her, because the sound of my voice instantly sparked suspicion within Seulgi's heart. She knew me more than anyone else in the world and she could easily tell that I was lying. She silently waited for a more detailed explanation and I started tapping with my foot against the ground before I finally added: '' I don't get it. I don't get why he would have to die. He doesn't seem dangerous. It's true that he's investigating the suicides that happened because of the bunny girls, but he doesn't really know anything about us. ''

Dying was supposed to be reserved for those who wanted to be saved, but Baekhyun had things that held him down to this Earth, just like the depressed producer Min Yoongi did.

I held my breath with surprise when Seulgi suddenly took a hold of my chin and turned my head towards her. If it wasn't for the surgical masks that were covering our faces, our lips would almost touch in a kiss, but there was no sight of affection or anything else like that in her dark eyes. '' You don't have to understand it, Kirin. You just have to do as you're told. ''