chapter 5

❝ once upon a time, a monster girl was used as a tool of war ❞

FIVE

FLOODED VENICE

In the light of a candle, placed inside a skull, I sunk my paintbrush in a vivid orange color and dragged it across a canvas. My legs were crossed and I was only half listening to Anais's long narration about the beauty of the man who visited Abel that morning. Her story was interesting and compelling and I was fairly invested in it until I heard that this prince charming had the lower body of a horse. In a way, it was understandable for the curly-haired woman to like someone with peculiar features like hers, but I still couldn't take her seriously.

'' By the way, this new drink that you are serving to the people who visit Abel, is a lot better than the other ones. '' I took another sip of the watermelon flavored liquid. '' Very interesting taste. Completely unique- ''

'' That's because of the spider legs that I added to it, '' Anais proudly explained, only to have me choke on the drink and almost spit it at the serious and quiet Abel. He was sitting by my side and going through some documents that the chief of the police station wanted him to take care of.

Anais's eyes grew wide at the sight of my reaction and she angrily screamed: '' I let you sit here and get paint all over my bar and this is how you repay me?! What are you even doing here? ''

'' My friend is ignoring me, '' I explained, lowered my head and sighed. I was hoping that Yunho wouldn't get angry that I bailed on him and Alix, but luck wasn't on my side. Him and I were supposed to pain together, but he wasn't responding to my text messages.

Anais pushed a strand of her orange hair behind her ear and thoughtfully nodded. '' Humans are like that. ''

'' That's your response to everything, '' I muttered and pointed at her with my paintbrush. '' You said the same thing last month when I told you that I was bored because both of my friends have the flue. ''

'' What do you want her to say? '' Abel suddenly spoke up and joined the conversation for the first time. '' That she feels sorry for you because you don't know how to manage your relationships with some mere humans? Who cares anyway? They're just- ''

'' I do! '' I hissed before he could continue talking and clenched my fingers in to fists. My paintbrush nearly snapped in half. '' I care about those two humans! Do you think that it's easy for me to constantly go from one corner of the world to another, look at dead bodies and collect magic for you? Alix and Yunho are the only reason why I can keep doing what I do and stay sane. ''

Abel stared at me for a few moments. In the dim light of the underground bar, I saw a hint of compassion cross his features. It appeared as a spark and before he could let it grow in to a proper flame, it already disappeared again. '' It shouldn't be that way. You aren't like them. You're like us. ''

'' Like who? I keep asking you to tell me about this other world that we once escaped from and I don't understand why you can't! The past has always been at the tip of my fingers, but now, it's closer than ever and you know that! You won't be able to keep hiding it from me forever! '' I yelled and hit the table with my fists.

He continued looking down and reading the files that were covering his side of the table. '' Do you really think that I am going to crack and answer your questions, just because you used a slightly harsher tone than you usually do? You know why I'm being like this. I believe that it's the best way to protect you. When the time will be right, I'll tell you about everything that happened and the world that you come from. ''