chapter 10

❝ to hell with your heart ❞

TEN

UNWANTED

BEFORE THEY BURNED

The sun was shining high above the Angel palace. The white walls of the enormous structure seemed to be glistening under the strong light. Everything else seemed to be white too. The other buildings from the Capital City, the gravel on the roads, the clothing. Elianna didn't like how the angels' black wings stood out against the dark surfaces. She didn't like how she stood out among all that seemingly perfect beauty. She was nothing like the angels that she saw walking around the city. Their wings, their white clothing, their skin - everything seemed perfect. On the contrary to that, she looked like she just crawled out of a sewer in her baggy brown clothing, chain shirt and scratched up and muddy skin.

How did I even get my arms so muddy when there doesn't seem to be any real mud around here?

Her new teacher Abel took her to the palace for a diplomatic meeting with the angels and she couldn't wait to leave. The relations between the winged people and the beasts weren't all that great and she knew that they weren't going to solve anything. Both sides wanted more than the other one was prepared to give and neither one was prepared to back down from their conditions.

A war was approaching, there was no doubt about it.

'' So here is where you've been hiding! '' a voice suddenly called out and instead of dropping her sword from the surprise, like she would just a couple of months ago, she tightened her grip around the weapon and turned around. Standing in front of her was Byun Baekhyun, the angel that she knew all too well. She was hoping that she would find some peace on one of the large flat rooftops of the Capital City, but somehow he managed to find her. '' I can't say that I blame you. To tell you the truth, I don't really like coming back home either. In some aspects, I even prefer your nation to ours. ''

Elianna gasped in shock at the sound of the angel's words and looked around, just in case someone heard him. '' What are you talking about? Do you want to die? ''

'' What? Am I not allowed to say something like that just because we are supposed to hate each other? '' he calmly asked, intertwined his fingers behind his head and strolled around the beast girl who was in the middle of her training before he appeared. '' Are you really going to let them turn you in to a puppet, Elianna? Because I think that would be a waste of the pretty head that you've got on your shoulder. ''

The angel kept doing things that surprised her. Saying something bad about his nation, calling a beast pretty. What was going through his head?

She changed her stance and raised her sword again. He smirked at her poor attempt at trying to look as threatening as possible and lightly flapped the black wings that were growing out of his back. He didn't need to do anything to make her fear him. He was scary on his own, while he just stood there, without even a chain shirt or a proper weapon. '' Go away. What are you even doing here? Abel told me to practice while he goes to his meeting and just looking at you is enough to remind me how I deserve to burn. ''

'' I knew that you wouldn't be able to forget me, '' he teasingly replied, even if he knew that she was talking about their last meeting in Sirahae, when him and his friends saved an angel that was supposed to burn. '' You want me to leave you alone? But I spent the last half an hour searching especially for you, so that I can give you a tour of the Capital City. It's pretty boring on most days, but it's got it's hidden beauty, just like certain frustrating and hilarious beast girls. ''