chapter 4

❝ a long time ago, their wings were still as white as snow ❞

FOUR

TRACES OF THE PAST

BEFORE THEY BURNED

The monsters in Sirahae were always uneasy when the angels came to visit. It was as if everything in the walled city came to a stop. Countless pairs of eyes followed the winged people, adorned with armors and weapons. Some were filled with envy, others with hatred. Every now and then, even curiosity.

They were coming to visit a lot more recently and the monsters were starting to get worried. They didn't like seeing them in their half of the world, let alone in the capital city, where when they stepped out of their houses, they were always welcomed by people with beastly features similar to theirs. Horns, feathers, fur, scales - that was the norm around there. The angel's perfect faces and even more gorgeous wings, made the monsters feel intimidated.

Elianna didn't know about the angels' arrival. The war general Cyrille who accepted her as his apprentice, didn't like telling her about the king and queen's business with them. He thought that Elianna was a bit too curious about the angels. And that was not acceptable around there.

That day, he ordered her to train in one of the inner courtyards of the palace, while he left to take care of something. Her and another girl who was training to become a soldier, were sparring against each other. Sunmi's long blonde hair was tied in a messy braid and sunlight was shining on her burnt orange wings, always covered with dirt and blood. She held her spear with the strong grip and determination of someone who knew what they wanted to be ever since they could think for themselves. Sunmi's dream was to become a soldier.

From time to time, Elianna found herself wondering if perhaps it wouldn't be nice to do something different, be something more than just a trained killer, but she never voiced her thoughts out loud. She was too scared to do it. Her fate was already decided for her the moment that she was born and she couldn't disappoint the entire population that was rooting for her. She had to train and become strong. That was her duty as one of the six keepers of magic. Her people needed her.

'' I'm bored. ''

'' No, you aren't. ''

'' Don't try to tell me how I feel. ''

'' Then let it all out before the general comes back and I'll pretend like I'm listening. '' Sunmi sighed in defeat and slowly lowered her spear. Sweat was gathering on her forehead and her cheeks were slightly reddened from exhaustion. Her feathery wings opened and stretched together with her arms, when she raised them up in the air before she started massaging the spot on her shoulder where Elianna punched her earlier. '' Now that I think of it, I'm going to let you talk to my spear instead, while I go get us some water. By the time I come back, I want you to be ready to continue our training. ''

Elianna threw her flask at the other girl, who stuck her spear in the ground before she turned around and jogged away. Her chain was rattling while she ran and soon, she disappeared around the corner. Elianna sat down on the ground as soon as Sunmi was out of her sight. She always felt a little bad for complaining to the girl who would do anything to be in her place, but she couldn't help it. At the age of thirteen, she had to dream that there was more to her life than just swords, spears and bloodshed.

'' I can't believe that Cyrille even forbid us to join the end of summer celebrations next month! '' she loudly whined and rolled around on the ground. She squinted because of the strong sunlight before her gaze stopped on the spear that her training partner left behind. She stared at it for a few moments, thinking about how the war general yelled at her when she suggested that they could possibly join the others instead of accompanying a group of guards that was going to patrol around the city. '' You agree that Cyrille's decision is not fair, don't you? ''