Chapter 4- Broken Connection

REECE

"How the hell do you need help with an essay that is literally entirely your own thoughts?" I questioned in disbelief. He shrugged and scratched the back of his neck, as if he was nervous.

"I don't know, I'm not very creative I guess," he explained sheepishly. I shook my head at his lame excuse.

"And why would I help you?" I questioned. He met my gaze and placed his hands on my shoulders when he realized I was serious.

"Please Reece, I asked Mrs.Wilson and she said you are her best student, especially at creative work. You are the perfect person to help me," he began pleading with me. I sighed and looked over him uncertainly.

"Pleeeeeeease, I promise it doesn't have to be a continuous thing, just one evening," he began trying to convince me further. I sighed once more, I can't believe I'm about to agree to this.

"Fine, just one evening," I replied, putting emphasis on 'one'. A smile immediately spread across his face.

"Thank you."

And then his arms were wrapped around me.

I stood completely still, my eyes widened at the realization of what was happening.

Wesley was hugging me.

My face was buried in his chest, I wasn't tall enough to place my head over his shoulder. His larger build enveloped my entire body in warmth. My arms stayed limp, not daring to move from my sides. I immediately regretted my decision.

Because for some reason, for a fleeting moment, I considered allowing the contact just this once.

What the hell are you doing? Push him away! The voice in my head was screaming, and I did just that.

I placed my hands on his chest and pushed him back.

"First rule if you want me to help you, no hugs," I strained out. He rose his hands up.

"No hugs, got it," he said with a cheeky smile. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"My house, tomorrow after school," I ordered, he nodded in agreement.

"We should probably exchange numbers," he offered; I tilted my head at his suggestion and rose an eyebrow.

"And why would you need my number?" I questioned suspiciously as he pulled his phone out.

"In case there is a change of plans, we can contact each other," he explained. I looked at him disinterested and he continued to look at me expectantly. I really didn't want this dipshit to have my number, but I could always block him afterwards. I sighed in defeat and ripped his phone from his grasp, typing in my number before handing it back to him.

"Don't contact me if it has nothing to do with tomorrow after school," I glared at him one last time before making my way to the back of the diner without another word. I stayed back there for a good five minutes before taking my place back behind the counter. Wesley was no longer there.

Good, I thought.

The rest of my shift was quite boring; not many customers entered the diner, it was quite empty today. I guess people had more important things to do on a Sunday. It was four-thirty, which meant my shift was over. I quickly bid Joanne a goodbye before heading out to my car. As I sat in the drivers seat, my phone began to ring, indicating a call. I checked my phone and furrowed my eyebrows at the caller ID.

Why the hell is Mrs. Langford calling me?

I answered the call before it went to voicemail.

"Hello."