Chapter 40- Broken Past

REECE

I felt as if life enjoyed hurling devastating curveballs full force at me, and while they were quite enthralling when reading a novel or watching a film, realistically it did nothing but give you brutal whiplash and a spiral of uncontrolled emotions that you had no idea what to do with.

I was sick and tired of curveballs.

I was just sick and tired of everything in general.

Anguish and sympathy, those were the two emotions clashing for the past three days now as I laid a tangled mess in my sheets.

My mind and heart were at war with each other, one part of me hurt over being withheld the truth for so long while the other was hurting for the man I loved and the horrific events he experienced as a child.

I didn't know what to do with myself, my thoughts were burying me, but I had no motivation nor determination to move from where I laid.

To say the last few days have been uneventful was an understatement, yet somehow I felt drained as if it were the opposite, my body heavy and my head jumbled. I couldn't tell you the last time I ate or showered, I wasn't even aware what time of day it was, though I could assume it was sometime in the evening with the sun just beginning to set.

Maybe I was being a bit dramatic, I was aware it wasn't the end of the world, but lately it just felt like everything was becoming a bit too much, and on top of it all, I wasn't physically feeling the greatest either.

I guess it just sucked that this unfolded only a short while after the incident with Violet, I've repeatedly told myself that the two situations didn't compare, but this was the last thing that I needed to happen at the moment.

It made me wonder, what other secrets were lurking between the people I cared about that involved me?

Would I ever catch a break?

Life was toying with me again, but I've found comfort in the reminder that I've been through hell before and this wasn't quite it.

I was hurt by Wesley's decision to keep me oblivious to who he really was, but I also understood where he was coming from. I wasn't necessarily angry with him like I'm sure he thought I was, I just needed some time and space to collect my thoughts and make sense of what I was feeling.

The revelation that the boy I fell in love with was the same boy my father saved from a burning house all those years ago felt absolutely absurd to me, I mean what were the chances? Just how long did Wesley know of this? Did he know the moment he laid eyes on me, was that why he was so adamant on becoming friends with me so soon?

There were so many unanswered questions, but I wasn't quite ready to get the answers to each just yet, for some reason it was proving to be quite difficult for me to digest what I now knew.

Like the fact that Wesley was here today because of my father's willingness to sacrifice his own life.

That was certainly a mind-blowing thing to fathom, but in a way it was just what I needed to come to terms with in order to find the closure I was seeking for.

If it weren't for my father, I may have never met the boy I now cared so deeply for, the boy I loved.

A scary thought to come across.