Kid

"look we don't know for certain yet but I would look for employment elsewhere if the cuts have to be made" my boss says ending the meeting, "so that's it you've call us all in here to tell us you might have a job next week or not" I say shaking my head at him. "I don't like it either (Y/N) but I thought I'd better give you a heads up just in case" he sighs "I'll see you tomorrow, have a good night" he says walking out. "yeah what a great night its gonna be" I mutter grabbing my bag and heading back to my desk, might as well pack up some of it since I highly doubt I'll be working here much longer. "working late?" one of my co-workers say as she heads out of the office "yeah guess you can call it that" I say putting a few things from my desk in my bag "well don't stay too long" she says cheerfully clearly oblivious that I was packing up my desk. I grab my bag with an annoy huff, and walk out of the office and down to my car chucking my bag into the car carelessly and heading out only to get caught in the boston city traffic. Sat there moving at one mile per hour fed up of the annoying radio presenter that I was forced to listen to if I didn't want to sit in silence. Finally I got home to my apartment, I was too tired to cook so just decided to order a pizza. Half an hour later there was a knock on the door "finally I'm starving" I sigh getting up from the couch to answer the door. However when I answered the door I didn't find myself looking at the pizza delivery guy I found myself looking at a 10 year old girl. "um can I help?" I ask her, "are you (Y/N) (Y/L/N)?" she asks me smiling, "yeah why?" I ask confused. "I'm your daughter" she says simply, I stare back at her in shock "I don't have a kid" I tell her hoping she would leave but she just pushes her way past me and into my apartment "yeah you do, 10 years ago did you or did you not give a kid up from adoption" she says turning round to face me. I look back in stunned silence, it was true I gave a kid up 10 years ago but never thought about it since. "that's me, it's fine I'm not annoyed or anything" she says sitting down on the couch, "okay, so why are you here" I ask her crossing my arms "because I wanted to meet you" she says shrugging her shoulders. "do your parents know you're here" I ask her, she shakes her head "no my dad is back home in new York" she tells me, "new York! You came all the way to boston on your own from new York!" I exclaim and she just shrugs her shoulders. I look back over at her "what's your name?" I ask her, "Sarah" she tells me, "and let me guess something here, Sarah you want me to take you back to New York" I ask her crossing my arms knowingly, she nods her head "to meet your dad" I add, "yeah, so are you taking me or not?" she asks. I hear the pizza delivery guy knock on the door, "right grab your stuff we're going" I say answering the door and grabbing the pizza box. I take her down to my car, "I'd eat some its gonna be a long drive" I tell her passing her the box "you got an address?" I ask her. "yeah avengers compound" she tells me making me pause "oh god" I mutter, "pardon?" she asks me confused "nothing lets just get you home" I say quickly starting the engine.

I pull up outside the avenger compound and it was nearly midnight, "so which avenger is your dad then?" I ask as I turn the engine off. Before I get an answer I see someone running out of the building "Sarah!" I hear him shout, Sarah get out of the car and runs over to her dad giving him a massive hug. I get out of the car "where did you go? How could you do that! You scared the life out of me!" I watch as captain America himself tells Sarah off, he look up and over at me "thank you for bringing her back" he says standing up to face me. "it's no problem" I say avoiding his gaze, "how did you find her" he asks me, "she knocked on my door" I say shrugging my shoulders. "I found my mom" Sarah says proudly, steve looks over at her shocked and then back at me "you're?" he says looking lost for words. "yeah that's me" I say, "look its late, lets get you too bed" steve says to Sarah "and we've got spare rooms you can stay in" steve offers me. "oh no you don't have to do that" I say happy to go find a hotel in the city, "no it's the least I can do after everything you've done" steve smiles. "please stay mom" Sarah says smiling up at me, "yeah okay then" I sigh giving in. "I'm sorry I didn't catch your name" steve apologises as we walk into the compound, "oh its (Y/N)" I tell him, "well its nice to meet you (Y/N), hopefully we can get to know you, I know Sarah would love to" steve says putting his hand on Sarah's shoulder. "yeah sure, I'll have to double check how busy I am" I tell her "yes thank you!" Sarah exclaims hugging me tightly, "aha no problem" I say. "well say goodnight Sarah, and head straight to bed no more funny business" steve says saying goodnight to Sarah "night mom, night dad" Sarah says before heading into her room. "and this is the guest room, it might be a little manic in the morning with all the team so sorry in advance" steve chuckles, "I'm sure it will be fine thanks steve and goodnight" I say heading into the guest room. I woke up to my boss ringing me, "hello?" I say picking up my phone "look (Y/N) sorry to do this over the phone but we've had to make the cuts and we need to let you go, I'm sorry" my boss tells me. I don't answer and just put the phone down and sigh not knowing what to do now, I hear a knock on the door so I get up and head over to answer. "oh sorry did I wake you up?" steve asks as I open the door, "no don't worry its fine" I tell him, "well I was just wondering if you were in a hurry to get back to boston" steve asks me. "no not particularly, why?" I ask him, "well Sarah is dead set on getting to know you, and I'd like to too so I was thinking the 3 of us could do something" steve suggests. "yeah that would be great, let me just get dressed and I'm good to go" I tell him, "great can't wait" steve smiles. A little while later me and steve were watching as Sarah fed the duck on the lake, "so was the dad in the picture?" steve asks me, "pardon?" I ask confused. "Sarah's dad, what happened with him" steve asks, "oh no, literally a one time thing, a massive mistake but she's happy so that's good" I tell him "I was young and just not ready, needed to give her the best chance in life" I sigh. "yeah of course" steve sighs, "so did you adopt her from a baby?" I ask him. "no actually we were on a mission and found her all alone so took her in she was about 5 at the time" steve sighs as he tells me the story, "on the streets?" I ask him, "yeah she'd run away from her foster home 3 times at that point, she trusted me and the rest is history" steve tells me. "I'm glad you found her" I smile, "me too, she's amazing" steve smiles watching Sarah "so what do you do back in boston" steve asks changing the topic. "well currently nothing, got fired just this morning" I sigh, "that sucks, how come?" steve asks, "just budget cuts, had to let someone go" I say shrugging my shoulders. "well if you need a job I'm sure tony could find you one" steve offers, "please work for uncle tony!" Sarah says joining the conversation. "oh I'm not sure" I say unsure if I wanted to stick around or not, "well why don't you have a trial week, get to know the job, us everyone here and if at the end of the week you don't like it then its no problem" steve suggests. I look over at Sarah and see her looking back at me hopefully, "fine but just for a week and I'm not promising anything" I say laughing when Sarah hugs me tightly.