Pasts

I made my way down the shield HQ with the write up from my most recent mission, I had turned the corner and saw the elevator close "just by a couple of seconds" I sigh pressing the button hoping another one would come soon. It was only a few moment when the elevator came back down and opened up, just as I was about to step in someone steps out "oh sorry captain" I apologise stepping out of the way. "nothing to apologise for" he smiles with a slight nod "have a nice day" he adds as he leaves "you too" I smile stepping into the elevator. "director's office" I say and the elevator begins it ascent towards fury's office, "ah agent (Y/L/N) is that the mission report?" he asks once he sees me. "yes it is, sir on time like promised" I nod handing over the file "is that everything sir?" I ask holding my hands behind my back. Fury shakes his head getting up from his desk "Agent, you are one of the best in the field and while here at shield we value you talents I believe they would be better suited elsewhere" he say moving to lean on his desk. "are you firing me sir?" I ask hoping I wasn't because I loved this job "not at all, more of a promotion" he says, he takes my silence as the cue to continue "I want you to join the avengers, your skills would fit perfectly in with the team" he explain. I sigh as it wasn't quite what I was expecting "with all due respect sir, I think with my situation I would be best suited to remain as I am, we don't want any collateral damage" I say, fury nods his head "of course, it is your choice after all but don't hold back if you change your mind" he says. I take this as my cue to leave "thank you sir" I say as I leave.

It had been a couple of weeks since fury's offer but I still hadn't changed my mind, I heard a knock on my office door "come in" I call not looking up from my files. "you've been assigned a mission" agent hill say walking in "thank you Maria, when do I head out?" I ask opening the file, "immediately, so read up on what you have to do fast" she says keeping to her professional tone "good thing I'm a fast reader then, although it seems like we won't be able to have our girls night in tonight" I smile. Maria cracks a slight smile "unfortunately so, just don't get killed and we can reschedule" she says turning to leave, I begin to read the file and notice something that couldn't be right. "agent hill wait a second, I believe you gave me the wrong file" I call out, she turns back on her heels "no that is your mission" she says slightly confused "but this type of mission is usually for strike, I do predominantly solo mission" I explain. "you'll be working with a team, it's on the next page over and I forgot you can't back out of this one" she adds leaving as fast as she could, I furrow my brows and look at who I would be working with "fury you sneaky son of a bitch" I sigh when I see the team I was with, "alright then lemurian star here we come".

The strike team, me and the two avengers captain America and black widow were all listening to the briefing rumlow was giving us "led by this guy Georges batroc, the guys got a rep for maximum casualties" he finishes. the captain nods his head "alright, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find batroc, Nat and Agent (Y/L/N) kill the engine and wait for instruction, rumlow you sweep left find the hostages, get them to the life pods get them out, let's move" he says strapping on his gloves. "strike you heard the cap suit up" rumlow says, everyone then begins getting all the last bit of equipment ready before we jumped. I was just sliding the last bit of ammo onto my belt when the captain made an appearance behind me "I didn't realise you did mission" he says, I raise a brow at him "really whys that?" I ask crossing my arms "honestly I thought you were a tech, how come I haven't seen you on missions before" he asks. "well I mostly do solo missions and if I am with someone else its one 1 or 2 people" I explain with a slight smirk, "well at least I know you can hold your own" he smiles grabbing an ear piece from the side "I sure can captain" I laugh grabbing an ear piece myself. "you can call me Steve if you want" he smiles resting his hands on his utility belt "okay, Steve, call me (Y/N)" I smile putting emphasis on the Steve part making him chuckle. "secure channel 7" he says going back into captain mode, "7 secure" I reply through the comm, followed by Nat and the rest of strike. Steve goes and begins talking to Natasha as I begin to put on my parachute "we're over the drop zone" rumlow calls, I pull on the final straps on my harness and watch as Steve puts his shield on his back and jumps straight out without a parachute. "okay let's move out" rumlow says and I follow Natasha as she jumps first out towards the large ship below.