Rescued

A/N: request for enswimmer1 sorry it took so long, I'm really trying to get through the backlog of requests I currently have so hopefully others will be up soon.

Steve's POV

"hey bucky could you help me with this mission plan?" I ask bucky as he passes my office, "uh yeah sure what do you want help with?" bucky asks walking in. "I can't seem to get a lot of information on this base, so I was hoping that maybe you remember it, or at least something that could help" I ask passing him the file, he flicks through it "I do remember it, but I don't know why, I'm sorry" he sighs passing me back the file "it's okay don't push it" I sigh. "when are we likely to head out on this one?" bucky asks, "hopefully soon, I should be finished planning it by the end of the day, brief and head out tomorrow" I say thinking out loud. "sounds good, I'll let you know if I remember anything more" bucky says heading out leaving me to plan it alone. The next day we were out on the mission, the base seemed pretty deserted with only a few agents actually working there. Me and bucky were walking through clearing rooms as we went, as we entered the next room I noticed this wasn't like any other room in the base. There was a bed, scratches on the wall that almost looked like pictures, but the type a child would make. As I look around I notice bucky staring intensely at one of the drawings "you okay buck?" I ask him, "yeah this room, its familiar but I have no clue why" he says slowly drawing his attention away from the drawing. "it's almost like a child's room, why would they have kids here?" I ask glancing around, "I don't know hydra do pretty messed up things" bucky says but his expression was distant like he was deep in thought. "you sure you're okay?" I ask him, "yeah let's move on" bucky says quickly leaving the room, I look round once more my eyes falling on one picture that was a small girl with an adult next to her with the word friend underneath with an arrow to the man. I head out of the room running to catch up with bucky, "hey don't blame yourself, you didn't know" I say as we continue to look through the base. Bucky stops in his tracks and looks over at me sadly "I know" he mutters, "are we nearly done with this mission?" he asks glancing down at the floor. "uh let me check, guys what's everyone's status?" I ask into the comms, "we're all clear, what about you two?" tony says. "we're clear too, lets head back to the jet" I say and as soon as I did bucky started to head off ahead of me, I sigh to myself slightly I knew he was beating himself over it but I've never seen him look so pale as he did when we entered that room. Once I was back on the jet I was talking to tony "what's up with him?" tony asks nodding slightly over to bucky, "he recognised a room in there, it was like a kids room, so I'm guessing he was beating himself up about it, I told him it wasn't his fault which normally helps but this time it just didn't" I sigh glancing over at bucky who was sat in the corner away from everyone ringing his hands together.

It had been a week since the mission and bucky was still acting slightly strange, he seemed occupied with something whenever I saw him. I was just in the gym working out when I heard someone enter "hey bucky you okay?" I ask him, he looks up at me like a deer caught in headlights "oh steve I didn't see you in here, I'll just go" he says stammering over his words and quickly heading out of the gym. I unwrap my hands quickly chucking it in the bag before going to catch up with him, "hey bucky wait up" I called after him once I saw him. "what's up you seem worried about something, and you've been avoiding me" I ask once I caught up, bucky glances around "not here, can we talk somewhere private?" he asks me quietly. "yeah sure, come on" I say leading him to my room, "what's up?" I ask once the door had shut, "um it may take a while to explain so why don't you sit down" bucky says gesturing to the bed. I look at him confused but does as he says sitting down, "remember the mission last week, specifically that room" bucky starts pacing back and forth slightly. "yeah I remember" I say slightly confused, "I remember that room, specifically the person that lived in there" bucky says, "hey bucky its okay you had no idea" I start but he interrupts me. "no steve, it's really not okay, because of who she was" bucky says looking at me his eyes slightly red, "who was she?" I ask. "your daughter" bucky says his voice shaking, everything seemed to freeze as I took in the information. "how? How could that be?" I ask, "they managed to get some of your blood, and created her, they kept her there to be used as a weapon against you, they were hoping she would inherit the super serum" bucky explains. "hoping?" I ask, "yeah it didn't work, she actually inherited some of the problems you had back in the forties" bucky says, I sigh to myself dropping my head into my hands. "we need to find her, save her" I say standing up and going to make my way out of the room, "steve wait, there's something I haven't told you" bucky says stopping me. "while I was at that base I did actually become friends with her, a few weeks later the base was shut down they were moving all of us to a new base, what I didn't know was that she didn't come, they left her there all alone. She was 5 at the time, and I don't think she would have survived on her own, I'm so sorry" bucky explains his voice breaking. I nod my head slightly, "I still want to look bucky, she's my daughter I need to know what happened to her, if she's still out there, I haven't given up hope before, and I'm not going to stop now" I say. "okay, and I'll help, I couldn't help her back then, you can be damn well sure I'm gonna help her now" bucky says putting his hand on my shoulder, "thank you" I say smiling slightly, "it's nothing end of line, for the both of you" bucky smiles. The two of us walk to the labs to get help from tony, "hey guys what you need me for?" tony asks wiping his hands on a spare rag. We fill him in on what bucky had told me, "whoa that's a lot, you okay steve?" tony asks, "yeah, once I know she's safe then I will be" I sigh. Tony nods his head "well we better get started then, I'll get Friday to look through hospital records from that year, social services see if she went into the system and see where she ended up" tony says walking over to the computer, "but what will really speed this up a name" he sighs turning back round to face us. I look over at bucky who was deep in thought "don't push yourself buck, we'll get there" I reassure him, he nods his head slightly but I could tell he was still trying to remember. About half an hour later the three of us were looking through some files when I noticed bucky stop suddenly, "I remember" he mutters, "buck?" I ask, "her name I remember" he says "its (Y/N)" I look over to tony. "well (Y/N) we're coming to find you" tony says putting the new information in, I put the file in my hands down and lean up against the counter "(Y/N)" I sigh smiling slightly.