Chapter 33: Dancing With The Devil

Sorry for any errors or typos in advance! Enjoy -xoxoshewritesdior

King:

"Yeah ma, I tried but she still ain't budging. She don't wanna come see you." It hurt to say but Erica had a lot of resentment toward our mother, Sonya. She gave Erica up but kept me, and we were only born 4 years apart.

The way I grew up wasn't all sunshine & roses either. After my pops left us she started drinking heavy. Liquor turned into pills, and eventually a cocktail of shit that I couldn't even keep track of. One minute my moms was clean, the next she was strung out on the living room floor highed up on whatever she could get her hands on. Shit got so bad that when I was about 8 she had to leave me with my grandmother so that the state wouldn't take me.

I lived there for a few years. Occasionally my mother would pop up, mostly on holidays and birthdays. Never sober though.

After my grandmother passed away I was in this shit alone. I didn't have anyone to care for me anymore and I didn't have shit to my name. I damn sure wasn't going into the system, so I started hustling. Ended up staying with one of my homies in Queens. Only needed a few months to get on my feet and eventually I did. Making big money, more than I could spend.

I was renting a small studio apartment by my 15th birthday. Landlord didn't ask no questions. I had the bread and every month and he got paid cash in hand. Only thing is I was moving a little too fast. I ended up trying to sell to an undercover cop and got myself locked up. One long ass year in a fucking cage.

I wouldn't wish prison on my worst enemy. That's why I could feel for my mother and relate more than Erica could. No matter what she was still our mother.

"Please tell her again Papi, I just...I need to see her. I need to talk to her and see her in person. Do that for me Papito."

I could hear the pain in her voice. She loved me and she loved Erica...no matter the circumstances. Erica on the other hand was gonna be hard to break.

"I'll try ma, she just as stubborn as you so I can't promise." I laughed.

You have 60 seconds left the line quickly interjected.

"I love you son, tell your sister that I love her too with all of my heart." She said  followed  by a series of kissy noises

"Love you too Ma. I" The line went dead and I tucked my phone back in my pocket. Somehow I was gonna have to convince Erica to make her way up to Rikers. They had to talk.

I walked back over to my car and leaned against the driver side door. Pulling the perfectly rolled backwood from behind my ear I lit it.

In the split second that it took to  look down to grab my lighter, I heard tires screech, and felt the cold tip of a pistol pressed against my forehead.

"Aye Blood, I need all that shit you got my man. Pop the trunk." I couldn't make out the voice behind a black ski mask. But I was trying to. Only two people knew I was here. Erica & Redz and I knew neither one of them would ever give up any info on me so I was confused.

I had my gun in my waistband but if I reached for it, this motherfucker could blow my brains out.

"Ite bruh, move that shit out my face. And I'll give you what the fuck you want."

"Nigga fuck you! You don't make no rules. Pop that shit  or Ima pop you and take it anyway." The mysterious voice sounded way too familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Ite bruh , damn." I opened the car door and popped the trunk open. He followed closely behind with the gun to the back of my head. Quickly he reached down with his free hand and grabbed the package.