Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I arrived at work jittery, unsettled, and fighting off my grief. Today I had intended to feign sickness, and spend my day wallowing within my misery.

Having met Byron turned the tide on those thoughts. I also knew that we had a new human starting in my sector today, and I was the one who had to train him. It seemed that guilt over human activities had now become a part of me.

The ocean hammered waves against me showing its discontent. I swam to work through the restless waves that wanted to hound me.

Luckily for me, our aquarium sat close to the shoreline, which gave me handy access. Even as the waves spewed their foamy frustration, I made my way closer to the human structures.

I had to make sure that nobody ever saw me. What I found was that humans tended to follow predictable patterns. The ones who were late were always late, and the early ones were always early. They had such a structured day compared to how mer lived.

It took me quite a while to adjust. I have an intense dislike of the rumbling, belching things called cars that so called 'drove' around. They scared me. I chose to swim everywhere that I could, and I suffered walking everywhere the rest of the time. Swimming to and from work was my chosen form of transportation.

Once I safely navigated my way into Belloo's habitat, I shook off my scales, dressed in human clothes and then left the water. Belloo happened to be my favourite Beluga whale.

"What? No hello today." Belloo looked at me quite cross.

"I'm sorry, Belloo, today is my worst day." I replied to him in his language.

"I had forgotten. Forgive my abruptness and may your fins find their freedom." Belloo bowed his head to me and I sighed.

"One can dream, my friend, one can dream."

I checked in on my other aquatic friends, offering them greetings in their own language as I walked through the quiet aquarium. Trying to keep myself upbeat took a great deal of effort. I knew my friends were aware of my pain today.

Heading to my job as a ticket booth operator made me sigh. Everyone who worked here with me knew that I could have any job within the aquarium. I chose to stay where I was even when I'd had numerous other jobs offered to me.

The way I saw this aquarium differed from the humans. They saw profit, which to me didn't matter. Caring for my fishy brethren never required any form of payment, as to me, they were kin. I couldn't work and accept payment for something that I did out of love, especially when I didn't need human money.

Yes, the aquarium looked after all its occupants exceptionally well. They had to as it kept the other humans visiting. There was also a rehabilitation area for the many sick animals to regain their health. Through all of this, the end result turned into more money, which seemed unnecessary to me.

"Coral! There you are." Susie, my human manager scurried down the walkway to me, as I headed to my booth.

"Good morning to you, Susie." I offered my usual polite greeting.

"Your new recruit is quite the dish! He's finishing up his paperwork, and should arrive here shortly."

"What does 'quite the dish' mean?" I frowned at her and she rolled her eyes.

"Good looking, handsome, hot as hell." A smarmy smile appeared on her face, so I chose not to ask anymore.

"I see."

"I need you to show him the ropes today." She kept talking.

"Can you explain what ropes I need to show him because we have many different varieties." I pointed out.