Chapter 8

*Jaedyn’s POV*

I watch as Cailey walks over to Jason. I can see them talking, but not sure about what. He frowns. She must be telling him off or something. I go ahead and leave. I get in Brandon’s car and look at Jason. He smiles and then tries to put his arms around Cailey, but she takes a step back and his arms go down. She’s got this. I know she can take care of herself. I drive off and head back home.

I arrive home and get to the door, it’s locked. I hope that means that no one is home. I unlock the door, close it and lock it back. I head towards my ‘dad’s’ office and go through his things. Maybe I can find something that proves I’m not his. So far, all I’ve found is work stuff. I search drawers, under them and filing cabinets. Anywhere I could think to hide papers or a filing folder.

I spend twenty minutes looking through everything and haven’t found anything yet. Maybe he has something on his computer. I sit in the chair behind his desk and move the mouse a little. It comes on. I press the space bar and it asks for login information. Thankfully, I know his user name. I’m pretty sure I can guess his password. He always tells us his family is his life. I enter the user information, then enter ‘family’ as the password and press ‘enter.’

It works. I start going through the files. I remember some of the names I read on the papers I found, so it’s easier to tell which one’s work and which one’s not. I decide this is taking too long, so I do a search. ‘Jaedyn.’ Nothing. ‘Adoption.’ Nothing. Damn. This is starting to make me mad. I do one more search. ‘Family.’ Ha! That did it. I find a file with a bunch of documents. I open them and I eventually find one that peaked my interest.

I look at the time, I’ve spent way too long in here, so I print out all of the documents so I can look at them later. Once that is all done, I close everything, turn the monitor off, and grab all of the papers I printed. I leave and close ‘dad’s’ office door and head back to the front door. Once I leave the house, I quickly get back in Brandon’s car and drive off. Not sure where I’m going yet, but I’m getting as far away from here as possible.

After driving around for thirty minutes, I decide I would go to see Peter. He’s always been good at keeping secrets. Maybe he can let me hide out at his place so I can read these files. I pull over and call him. “Yup?” He always sounds bored when he answers his phone. “Hey, Peter. It’s Jaedyn.” He doesn’t say anything right away. “Hey. What’s up?” I take a deep breath. “I have a huge favor to ask.” He sighed. “What is it?” Poor guy. Probably thinks I am going to ask for money or something. Everyone always goes to Peter when they need money or they ask him to bring them ‘free’ pizzas.

“I need somewhere to hide out. And you can NOT tell anyone where I am. Please?” I thought I heard him gasp a little, but I’m not quite sure. “Are you in danger?” I don’t answer right away. “Jae! Are you in danger? Where are you? I’m coming to get you.” I could hear the worry in his voice. “No, I’m not in any danger…Well, not that I know of. I found something out and I don’t trust anyone, but you. I also don’t know who all knows about the information I found and I want to be able to read what I found out before I talk to those involved in this.”

He lets out a sigh of relief. “Okay. Where are you? I’ll come get you.” I hesitate at first. “I’m in Brandon’s car. He let me borrow it.” He’s quiet again. “Okay. Go home and I’ll pick you up there.” Hmm. “Why? Wouldn’t it be better if I parked nearby and then I could ride with you?” He sighed again. “If you leave his car nearby, then they will know that you came to me and then they would end up looking for you at my place. If you leave his car at home, then they will think you left it there to go to the park or over to Cailey’s house.” Oh yea. “Duh. Silly me. Okay. I’ll text you when I get to my house and I’ll meet you at the park by my house.”

I could hear background noise. He’s still at work. He probably freaked some people out when he yelled. “Okay. See you soon.” I hang up and head back home. I get home quickly, text Peter, and put Brandon’s keys on the table next to the door. Once that’s done, I run to the park and wait. I realize I haven’t heard from Cailey in about an hour, so I text her. “Hey. Just wanted to be sure that you’re okay.” She responded quickly. “Yes. I got him to leave me alone. I thought I’d shop until you came back. Did you find anything?”

I laugh to myself. “No, but I’m still looking.” She took a little longer to respond this time. “Oh, okay. Well, just let me know when you’re done.” I reply as I see Peter’s car pull into the parking area. “Okay. See you later.” I walk over to Peter’s car. He gets out and greets me. “Hey.” He has a ‘look’ on his face. “What?” He shakes his head. “Just want to be sure that you’re alright.” I smile at him. “I am for now. Thank you.” He smiles back at me. “Yep.” He walks over and opens the car door for me. “Thanks.” I got in and he closed the door, then he got in and we headed off to Peter’s place.