54 | we have to make it worth it

They were thrown back out of the quantum realm and all landed back in their previous spots.

Athena held on tightly to the stone as tears continued to slide down her face.

"Did we get them all?"

"Are you telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey asked.

Athena fell to the ground on her knees and looked down at the stone with multiple tears running down her cheeks.

"Athena." Clint said as she ran over to her and helped her up from the ground whilst hugging her tightly.

"Thea, Where's Nat?" Banner asked.

Athena stayed silent as more tears fell down her face, they all knew the answer.

Athena looked up at Clint and saw his eyes start gleaming as Bruce punched the ground harshly.

—————

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked as they sat outside beside the lake.

Athena was sat on the edge, letting her feet dangle into the water. "Yeah, us."

"What?" Thor asked "you're acting like she's dead. Why? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, we can bring her back. Is that right? So stop this shit with the avengers getting together."

"Can't get her back." Athena said as she looked down at her necklace. "It can't be undone." Athena shook her head as she looked over at Thor "it can't."

Thor started laughing "I'm sorry, no offence, but you're very Earthy being and we're talking about space magic. It all seems very different, don't you think?"

"She still isn't here, is she?" Athena raised an eyebrow as she stood up and looked at the god, clutching the necklace in her hand.

"No, that's my point."

"It can't..." she stuttered "be undone. Or at least that's what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him!?" She started to yell "okay, go grab your fucking magical hammer and you go talk to him!"

"Athena, calm down." Clint said causing her to look down and start bawling her eyes out.

"It should have been me" She yelled as she threw a large energy ball into the river, letting out a sharp breath "she sacrificed her life for that damned stone... she put her life on it."

Banner threw the bench out into the river before turning around "she's not coming back. We have to make it worth it."

"we will." Steve said as he stood up from the chair.

Athena squeezed her eyes shut as multiple tears fell down her face and looked down at the locket.

—————