48 | inevitable

48 | inevitable

"Thanos spent a long time trying to perfect me. And when he weren't, he talked about his great plan. Even disassembled, I wanted to please him. I'd ask... where would we go once his plan was complete? His answers were always the same... to the garden."

"That's cute," Rhodey shrugged "Thanos has a retirement plan."

"So, where is he?" Athena asked as a map of the Earth showed in front of them.

"When Thanos snapped his fingers, Earth became a ground zero for a power service of rediculously cosmic proportions. No ones ever seen anything like it." Rocket explained. "Until... two days ago. On this planet."

Athena raised an eyebrow at the unknown planet on shown on the 3D map. "Thanos is there?"

"He used the stones again" Nat said as she admired the map.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey." Bruce started "we'd be going in short handed."

"Look, he's still got the stones, you know?" Rhodes said.

"So, let's get him." Carol interjected causing Athena to roll her eyes. She didn't like her. "Use them to bring everyone back."

"Just like that?" Thea raised an eyebrow at the girl.

"Yeah," Steve nodded "just like that."

"Even if there's a small chance that we can undo this," Nat said "we owe it to everyone who's not in this room to try."

"If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?" Athena asked, looking around at all the others.

"Because before you didn't have me." Carol said causing the girl to, once again, roll her eyes.

"That's a bit cocky, isn't it?" Athena smirked at the girl beside her.

"Hey, new girl—" Rhodey started to talk "every body in this room is about that superhero life. And if you don't mind me asking, where have you been all this time?"

"There are a lot of other planets in the universe, and unfortunately, they didn't have you."

Athena scoffed and looked over to Thor who had been quiet the whole conversation. He stood up and walked over to Carol, holding out his arm and revealing storm breaker — his new 'hammer'.

"I like this one."

"Let's go get this son of a bitch."

—————

"Okay," Rocket started, looking back at all the avengers in the ship "who here hasn't been to space?"

Nat, Rhodes and Steve all raised their hand causing Athena to chuckle. At least she could check that off her bucket list.

"You better not throw up on my ship."

"Approaching jump in three.. two.. one.." they all got prepared as the ship flew through the jump point.

Athena closed her eyes as they went through the jump, feeling the large bolt run through her.

Carol got out of the ship and floated in front of them "I'll head down for re-con."

Athena un-did her buckle and stood up, walking over to the talking raccoon and Nebula.

"So, this is where he is? Thanos?" Athena asked anxiously as her head differed between the two.

"Yes." Nebula answered.

"And we can bring everyone back?" She asked.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up, Pretty."

Athena bit her lip anxiously as Carol came back. "No sattelites, no ships, no armies, no ground defences. It's just him."

"And that's enough."

—————

Athena flew through the wooden floor and grabbed hold of the gauntlet on his arm, her hands glowing as she squeezed tightly. Rhodes cane through as he grabbed his other arm, and then Thor, slashing the Titans arm off with Storm Breaker.

Steve and Natasha walked in as Athena checked the gauntlet.

She picked it up and looked at it, her face instantly falling off when she saw what wasn't in it.

"Oh, no" rocket said from beside her. They all looked down and saw that the stones were missing.

"Where are they?" Steve asked.

"Answer the question" Carol threatened as she tightened her grip on his neck.

"The universe required correction..." Thanos started "after that... the stones served no purpose. Beyond temptation."

"You murdered trillions" Athena yelled as she pushed Thanos back before blasting him in the chest hard, causing him to fall back.

"You should be greatful" he sneered at her. She punched him again.

"Where are the stones?" She asked again with a shaky voice.

"Gone." He stated. "Reduced to atoms."

"You used them two days ago." Nat stated.

"I used the stones to destroy the stones." He said, making everyone question his motives. "It nearly.. killed me. But the work is done, it always will be." He looked Athena in the eyes and said "I am... inevitable."

"We gotta tear this place apart.. he's gotta... he's gotta be lying." Rhodey said in disbelief.

"My father is many things." Nebula spoke "a liar is not one of them."

"Ah" he looked to nebula "thank you, daughter." Perhaps I treated you too harsh—"

Thor didn't wait another second before pulling out storm breaker and slashing Thanos's head off.

Athena's eyes widened as she stepped back and looked at the scene.

"What did you do?" Rocket asked as he looked at Thor in disbelief.

"I went for the head."

Athena closed her eyes and placed her forehead on Natasha's chest, looking down at the ground in sadness.

She couldn't get Peter back. There was no way.

They were all gone.

—————