Chapter 80.1: 1995, Ruiz

The kitchen was a lonely place as I sat here contemplating what I was doing. It was Thursday, the first day I was supposed to have gone into work. Tomorrow was supposed to be my second day, but it didn't look like that was going to happen either. So just what was I doing?

I was contemplating this as, without warning, laughter rang out in the living room. A laughter that shocked me, having haven't heard it in such a long time and never this free.

"Hee hee hee, no...no ball...no..."

"Ball" was the way Georgina had been saying "Baby Doll". She slurred everything in the middle, leaving just "Ball". A small nervous buzzing flew through my stomach and into my heart hearing her say this, but it reminded me that I was not alone in this house. That was all I needed.

As I walked down the hallway, the sounds of Oprah got louder on the TV. She was interviewing somebody, but the camera was so focused on Oprah herself that it was unclear to me who exactly was opposite her. 

"Ball, you bad. Down lick? Bad gil," Georgina was saying. I could see Baby Doll on her lap standing up as she tried to lick her arm desperately.

Oh Jesus just hearing her talk was paining my heart. I had no idea what she was saying, but she sounded happy. Wasn't that the most important point?

The TV finally flicked to the person Oprah was interviewing, revealing Stevie Wonder. My eyes brightened, unexpected happiness in my heart. God I wished Miss Cha Cha was here. She'd have loved to see him.

"You bad. You bad! Down!" 

I blinked. Those words had been crystal clear. Sudden relief flushed into my core, knowing I'd understood a little bit. At least I wasn't hopeless. I had to keep telling myself that over these past few days. 

Behind the couch I pressed my hands on the pillow next to Georgina and I saw her jump harshly, her eyes wide at me with fear for a split second, but she immediately relaxed. That pained me, too. Why did she do that? I'd seen her do it a couple of times these past few days.

I tried to brush it off, but it was so hard. "I was going to make a snack. Do you want one? I can get it for you," I offered, trying to deflect that I'd seen her jump like that, trying to deflect my pain, too. I'd wanted to help her like this, getting her things and being there for her. So I was doing it and it felt good, but seeing her like this...

Baby Doll saw me and padded off her lap, coming towards me and sat down while staring up at me. Her eyes looked begging. I went to put my hand on her head but she met my hand before I could, loud rumbling purrs erupting as she did so. Georgina smiled again, reaching out to pet her tail. We were silent for a moment as we pet her together. Baby Doll looked like she was in pure ecstasy. 

"Sack? Oh, no, dinis soon?" Georgina said, still smiling but looking at me now.

My other hand curled, hidden behind the couch, reflecting my frustration in my confusion. I needed to understand. I had to. I didn't want her to feel embarrassed or anything like that. She might, and I couldn't bear that. She didn't deserve it. So I tried. I knew what the first word was, because she had to have been referencing what I had said to her, so maybe it was snack? But that d-word. I had no idea what that was, so... I'd noticed that when Miss Cha Cha was around she understood more than me and would chime in. But she wasn't here now.

Sighing deeply in shame, I looked her straight in her happy blue eyes. Seeing my face, her own face fell immediately and my fist clenched tighter, the shame rippling through me as surely as if her fallen face had been a rock thrown through my confidence. "I'm sorry, I didn't understand..." I said quietly, half hoping she didn't hear me properly either so maybe in some sick way we'd be even.