Chapter 44.2: 1995, Ruiz

The front door opened with a loud squeak on the hinges and I gathered the pink Hello Kitty comforter over my head on the couch. Slowly, there were bumping sounds on the wood as two stiletto heels thumped off. Clicking ensued, and I knew whose footsteps these were.

"Don't go into the living room."

"What? Why?"

"What is in your hands? Show me it."

"But this is-"

"My room. Now. You are talking to me first."

"Where's Ruiz? I need to give her-"

"Get into my room."

I shivered, hearing the no nonsense strictness in Miss Cha Cha's voice. Ambrose sounded genuinely scared of her. My hands balled tighter, the stiff cotton batting of the comforter having no give. I realized I was hiding.

The distinct footsteps came up the hallway towards me and my legs curled up to my stomach, getting me as small as I could be. But the next instant a door slammed, causing me to jump. Silence followed. Utter silence. I relaxed a little bit, knowing our plan was in motion.

This plan, an intervention.

I thought about what Miss Cha Cha had said in the car, about 'what is going on with him that he is doing these things?' I'd thought about it, and it was true what she had said. What was going on with him? I hadn't had the courage to ask him myself, so she decided for the both of us that she would confront him. 

When he hadn't come home towards dinner time, Miss Cha Cha had shaken her head and made us a simple pan-seared chicken. When he hadn't come home after the news, she'd made up the couch as my bed. She knew I didn't want to sleep in the same room as him should he come home during the night. I was grateful.

But now was the time. He'd finally come home. What time was it? I'd been laying here a long time, awake in the dark. Wondering when he'd finally come home. Wondering what he was doing out there all alone. Was he doing the things Tony had told me about? It sickened me, but made me miss him even more. Made me miss the old Ambrose, the one who'd be home with me, kissing me and curled up around me not being able to wait to go to bed so he could hold me like that. 

But here I was on the couch now. Alone. What had changed? Why was he doing this? Why was I all alone?

What was going on in that room? My stomach clenched. It told me I halfway didn't want to know. Was anything going to change? Would he lie to her, too? Would we even be able to recognize the truth if there was one?

Even though it had to only have been a few minutes, this waiting was killing me. Every second felt like a trickle in time, too slow and too agonizing to watch. What was going on in there? Would I even be able to wait?

Chirrrurrurr-rurrurrurr

My eyes opened to half of the white underside of a blanket and half of the living room under sunlight. I blinked, off center.

Chirrurr-rrurr-rrurrurr

This sound. That was-

Chirrrr-rurrrr-rrururrur

...Grandma? No way. I groaned. No, because it was-

Chirrurrr

Stretching, I sat up. Immediately I yawned, breathing in so deep. My lungs were refreshed from having been partway underneath that stuffy blanket. The room smelled like toast. Toast. I wanted toast.