Chapter 77.5: 1968, Georgina

"I am high as a kite. Fuck me, I can't get my eyelash on."

"I'll help you in a minute."

"I swear that is the biggest wig I have ever seen. Its like four of my wigs mutated into one. Like they seceded out of Cousin It and decided to become their own country."

"That didn't make no sense."

"Fuuuck, my eyelash fell into the sink. Help me!"

"Why the fuck are you high anyway? I told you not to smoke that shit in my apartment! The smell gets into everything, you can't get rid of it! Now my apartment smells like a skunk farted all over the place!"

"Hun, you have any more? Is it good stuff or what?"

"Don't you dare start, too. I swear to god."

"Don't you dare say the lord's name in vain."

I was sitting in the living room, listening to the three of them getting ready in Paulie's bathroom. They'd pile into his car in about an hour and go straight to the club. It all happened because Genesis had wanted to see me and we were all talking, then Sasha realized how late it was and now the three of them were getting into various forms of Paulie's drag because nobody's drag was over here but his. 

"Ow. Help, I really can't get ready without my eyelashes."

"Go ask Georgina, she's really good with the eyelashes."

Hearing my name, I stiffened in my seat. Listening to them, I'd almost lost myself, as if I'd entered into another world that in no way included me anymore. I'd been lonely out here. But now...

"Oh, yeah you're right." Softly, clicking heels sounded on tile and then Sasha appeared out of the bathroom doorway, looked in my direction and began to make his way over. He was a vision in sparkling red, a long deep red dress, an evening gown really, with long trailing tails coming from the back of the sleeves which were strappy. His natural dark auburn hair could have matched well with it if he were to wear it that way, but his make-up was not a match yet. I could see he clearly did need his eyelashes to create his look, he must have built upon them with eye make-up first and then did the rest. Now his face just had base make-up on it, which was a bit out of place to say the least.

He held up the eyelashes between his fingers, held up the lash glue in his other hand. I nodded and he sat on the couch. I adjusted my wheelchair to face him and he sat face level with me. Without a word, I took the glue and he handed over one of the lashes very carefully. How horrible it would be if we lost one of the lashes in the carpet, or both.

"On a scale of one to ten, how high are you?" I asked, staring into his eyes as I gently did my work. His eyes were closed, and he'd seemed to have relaxed slightly because of this. 

"Georgina...I feel like an inflated elephant floating up in the universe on the far reaches of the solar system. I don't know what to do about it. I did all that weed...it must have been old because it all kicked in about an hour ago and now I feel like...like an elephant in Dumbo. You know what I mean? I don't- I don't even know what's going on right now." He'd started to laugh a little bit at this last admission, but I steadied his head with my hands and he shut up, maybe half remembering what we were doing here.

"Are you sure you should go into work, then? What if Frankie's father is there? What would he say?" I avoided saying 'Mr Caselotti' on purpose, remembering how enraged Sasha had gotten during our conversation with everybody. We'd been discussing Miracle and the Caselottis on purpose, having to include other people in our conversation because our opinions were just going around and around. We needed new opinions.