The Great Mysterio

Start from the beginning

The room suddenly fills with Tony Starks.

Peter freezes.

   Uh oh.

"What happened to all that vibrato?" Mysterio's deep voice resounds throughout the room. It's not real, it's not real.

"It's okay, Peter. They're just holograms! You got this!" Ned encourages. Peter takes a slow breath and instead tries to focus on spotting where Mysterio is hiding like the coward he is.

"What are you even trying for, exactly?" One of the many Tonys questions, the voice echoing. Peter ignores it and continues his search.

"You've fought this guy, what, four? Five times now?" Another asks as Peter walks through them.

"Why can't you just beat him already? Stop wasting my time!" That's when the chaos ensues. All the different Tonys shouting reverberating insults over each other, directed at Peter.

"Worthless!"

"I should've kept the suit!"

"I knew you didn't have what it takes!"

"Disappointing!"

"You'll never be good enough to be a hero!"

"Give up!"

Peter ignores them all, because he knows what Tony thinks. He knows Tony is proud of him. Cares about him. He'd never say these things. They aren't real. They aren't the Tony he knows.

It's then that he spots Mysterio on the ceiling right before the villain uses a laser to completely cut out the door handle. While ignoring the various Tonys and their continuous shouts, Peter shoots a web from both web-shooters at Mysterio's back. Just as Peter tugs on the webs to pull him down, one of Mysterio's lasers cuts through the webbing. Peter flies backwards from the sudden shift in weight and almost crashes to the ground. He quickly regains his balance, but it's still enough time for Mysterio to jump off the ceiling and run through the door.

Peter doesn't waste another second and shoots a web to each side of the doorframe and pulls himself through it, thankfully leaving behind the Tony illusions. As soon as he's in the stairwell, he sees the flourish of Mysterio's dark purple cape as the villain runs up to the next level of stairs. Peter starts webbing his way up the stairs in pursuit to either catch up with him or get a clear shot.

"Does this go straight to the roof?!" Peter asks as he rounds another landing. MJ is the first to answer.

"Um," she pauses, "yeah. According to the blueprints." Peter vaguely wonders how Ned and MJ manage to find this convoluted information so fast.

"Fantastic," Peter responds sarcastically. He shoots a web with a free hand as he sprints up the stairs aimed at Mysterio's back. At the last moment, Mysterio sharply turns up the next flight of steps and Peter's web sticks to the wall. Still, Peter pulls on it to gain more momentum.

Of course I miss. I wonder how long it'd take me to make webs that defy the laws of physics. The random thought triggers an idea, and he hopes it works as well as he thinks it will. He stops his chasing for second to properly aim a Ricochet Web at the wall. If his angles are just right...

He shoots the web, which ricochets in a zigzag pattern from wall to wall until it collides and expands all over Mysterio's helmet.

"Yes!" Peter exclaims, shooting a regular web at the upper railing and pulls himself up to Mysterio's level. He capaults himself upwards and kicks Mysterio square in the chest, causing the villain to fly into the wall. Peter backflips off of Mysterio and goes in for a punch to attempt breaking the glass helmet. However, Mysterio quickly catches Peter's fist, slams him into the concrete wall, and throws him down the center of the stairwell.