Team Spidey

Hey! Time to start easing back into what you seem to be a glutton for...angst! I'll give you time to warm up to it though :) I'm absolutely adoring the support and welcome to the new readers!

Have fun and stay safe!❤🧡💛💚💙💜

---

At the end of the day, Tony surprisingly offers to drive the kids home instead of calling Happy to do it. Peter rides in the backseat between Ned and MJ, leaving the passenger seat empty. The ride is full of backseat chatter from the teens, so much so that they don't catch Tony's slight smile. Ned is the first to be dropped off, then MJ at her house. When MJ leaves the car, Peter moves up to the passenger seat to sit next to Tony. Peter's action is partly second nature, since he usually sits up front with Happy, but the other part of Peter worries Tony will feel uncomfortable. He figures Tony doesn't mind when the man simply pulls away from the curb and starts their drive the apartment.

The ride to Peter's apartment is spent in a semi-comfortable silence. Tony tries to find a subject to talk about or just absolutely anything to break the silence, but comes up empty. What do teenagers even talk about nowadays? It's not like he can whip out any Vines on command. Peter stares out the window, watching the light of the streetlamps as they speed past. He has one headphone in, just in case Tony initiates a conversation. It isn't until the car slows to a stop outside the apartment complex that Peter decides to speak up.

"Thank you for having me, Mr. Stark," he says politely.

"Sure, kid. Not a problem." Tony nods, parking the car. He's not quite sure why he parked, since he isn't going inside, but he does nonetheless.

"I, um, I appreciate it. Y'know, everything that we did this weekend," Peter admits sheepishly as he stares at his fidgeting hands. Tony sighs, noticing how nervous Peter is. He swears this kid is making him way too soft for comfort. Regardless, he gets out of the car and walks to the other side to open the door for Peter. "Mr. Stark?" Peter asks as he cautiously steps out of the car. Tony ignores his confusion and avoids eye contact as he places a firm, hopefully comforting, hand on Peter's shoulder. Peter is shocked into silence.

"If you ever need anything, or you're having a bad day, shoot Happy a text and he'll bring you to the workshop. M'kay?" Tony tries to keep it as nonchalant as possible, but he knows the weight of his words. He's giving a high school kid, an insanely smart one, free range to his multi-million dollar workshop. He can't try to deny it anymore. He cares about Peter, the endearing little shit. Against his better judgment, he looks to the teen, whose head is lowered.

"Oh, I, uh," Peter stammers, keeping his eyes on his shoes. He has never been good with words. Instead, he glances up only to see Tony looking down at him. Something about Tony's honest tone and unwavering eyes makes every coherent thought in Peter's mind disappear.

"Kid-" Peter finds his arms wrapping around Tony's torso and his head tucked against his mentor's chest. Tony stands in a mix of shock and disbelief, his arms hovering awkwardly over Peter. Does he hug back? Does he laugh it off? Does he leave?

"You don't have to hug back, Mr. Stark. I know we aren't there yet. I just...thanks," Peter mumbles his gratitude against Tony's sweatshirt, almost afraid to look at the man's reaction. He's ready to pull away when Tony's gentle, hesitant arms return the hug.

"We're there, Peter," Tony affirms softly. He rests his chin on the top of Peter's head. It takes every ounce of Peter's strength to keep his tears at bay. Instead, he cherishes the feeling of warmth and safety that Tony's arms provide. "We're there," Tony repeats. Peter tightly curls his fingers around the fabric of Tony's sweatshirt. He doesn't want it to get uncomfortable, so Peter lets go and Tony clears his throat.