Prologue

The first time I saw Cole Brookstone was at a convention. He was greeting some fans and signing a few papers. He looked drained and sad. His eyes were empty. There was something so cold behind them that scared me. But not anymore.

I wasn't scared of him because I know that deep down he was scared himself. He was scared of being hurt. That was his biggest fear. I remember him telling me that. I remember that moment we shared when he held me close and said that I fixed him. I remember telling him everything was going to be okay and that we would get out of this mess. I promised him that.

I remember being so scared in that moment, too, because if I was the one who fixed him, that meant I could break him all over again. That became my biggest fear and it shattered both of our hearts when my biggest fear came true.

I see him now and he's stressing. He thinks it's his fault I'm gone. It was mine. All mine.

I see him and he never speaks. He never goes to conventions and he never eats or comes out of his room. I see when he stays up until four a.m praying and begging whatever gods would hear him for me to come back to him, and I see when he's ready to give up and cry.

Cole never cried when we were together, although now he cries every night. I've never wanted him to hurt. He doesn't deserve this. I didn't deserve him.

I'm sorry. I regret this whole thing, so so much, and if I could go back in time and take it all back so neither of us got hurt, I would.