Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

"Very well," Sam said. "But one more question, before we begin. Tell us, why does Lord Kaithdross want us dead?"

"Lord Kaithdross needs no reason for his actions."

"You don't know, do you?"

Regebrass snorted and stomped agitatedly. "No more words, human. Time to die."

With two great strides that shook the earth, the armoured dragon was upon them. Sam jumped back as it slammed a palm to the ground.

Evan closed in from the side with his sword drawn. He deftly leapt over a sweeping tail and continued his approach. The tail lashed out again. He jumped again but his boot caught on the tail and was sent spiralling to the ground.

Sam came from the dragon's other side and plunged his sword into the meaty flesh of its foot. Regebrass roared to the sky and stumbled backwards as Sam released the sword.

James withdrew his own sword, cursing himself for not having done so already. They should not be fighting. Sam had broken ribs and Evan was just unconscious. Not to mention the open wound in James's side. He focused and told himself to stay strong. He looked for an opportunity to strike, knowing that running straight for the twenty-foot dragon would only get him killed.

As Evan and Sam closed in on Regebrass, the dragon raised a leg and brought its foot crashing down in front of them. The earth split into jagged cracks as a shockwave sent out chips of rock and dirt. Sam rocked on his feet, steadying himself, while Evan was thrown to the ground.

"Feeble little ones," Regebrass growled. "I will crush you all."

Evan rolled away from another foot stomp, and threw a hand out, shouting a foreign word. The ground by the dragon's foot crumbled and burst upwards. The earth rolled around the scaled foot and set it firmly in place. Regrebrass faltered and stared at his immersed foot. Evan dropped to the ground, panting with exhaustion.

Bouncing on the spot, James saw his opening. He fought through the sharp pain in his bloodied side and rushed forward with his sword in both hands.

Regebrass slammed a fist down, cracking the raised rocks and freeing his foot. His back remained to James. When James came to its left foot, he grunted and thrust the sword into the scaled skin. It plunged in almost half way down the blade. The leg jerked outward in shock, causing James to lose his grip on the sword and fall onto his hands and knees. His sword remained in the dragon's foot as it hobbled away, grunting with each step.

James pushed himself backwards along the trembling ground as the dragon reeled towards him, an angry glare in its yellow eyes, its sharp teeth bared. Fresh blood seeped from James's side, staining his desert cloak.

Evan attempted to charge at the dragon but was held back by the sweeping tail.

Sam was sprinting towards the dragon from the other side. Despite a pained grimace, he held a look of fierce determination. He rocketed into the air, sailing towards the dragon's head. Regebrass turned and back stepped, clearing more distance away from Sam's flight path. Sam looked helpless in the air, now unable to do anything but fall back to the ground. An easy target. The dragon readied an attack.

A hazy blue wind gather around Sam. James saw that Evan had his arms raised, channelling his magic. The Voarn cried out and threw his arms up to the sky. As Regebrass swung a fist towards Sam's falling form, the blue wind burst and shoved Sam higher up. The dragon's fist swung through empty air. Sam flew in a wide arc over the dragon, bringing his sword down and slicing a long line down the back of Regebrass's head, below his goggles strap.

Regebrass roared, a shrill cry, and held a hand to his head.

When Sam landed, he faltered and fell to knees. He grimaced with pain, sweat dripping from his face. James felt the need to join the fight more, seeing how strained and injured his friends were. But his sword was still embedded in the dragon's ankle.