Chapter 28

****

            Brad's face dropped and he rolled over with his back to me, "I'm so tired. How about later?" He requested, turning off his bedside lamp and closing his eyes.

            "Come on!" I protested, crawling from my bed and sitting beside him on his, reaching across the mattress and turning on the light again. He kept his eyes closed and I sat there for three minutes before getting bored. "Come on!" I said again, my hands reaching over to his body and shaking him, "come on!"

            He sighed, rolling over and looking up at me with his unique eyes, "Iris, you don't understand."

            I rolled my eyes, "come on, Brad. You have this big secrete and you have been hinting at since we started the road trip the first time. I deserve to know. For all we know, we could die tomorrow. The CDC could burst though that door and kill us."

            Brad took a deep breath, biting his lip, "you have to hear me out, don't say anything until I have finished."

            "I promise."

            Brad paused, sitting up and leaning against the bed rest, "I love you."

            I smiled, "I love you too, bro."

            Brad gave me a heart-broken look, "let me finish." He paused, taking a deep breath, "I love you..." That was when suddenly the windows started to glow with a bright white light. A cracking sound was heard and the entire area began the shake, the ground wobbling up and down, the feeling of being watched becoming greater than ever before, the windows rattling, glass breaking and shooting onto the floor infront of us.

             "Brad!" I screamed, but there was no response, the air around me started to heat up and suddenly I was standing in a hospital, nurses running busily past me, their white coats on.

            Two babies were wheeled out in front of me, one nurse carrying each of them. My feet stepped forward, trying to wave down the nurses in an attempt to find out where I was, but they just continued to walk forward ignoring me. What hospital was I at? I questioned, my eyes darting around and coming to rest on a small calendar that hung on the back of one of doors. December 8th 1996. My eyes locked in on the date, checking it over again to be sure that I had seen it correctly. 1996. December.

            Turning I watched the doctors walking around, clip boards in hand. That was Sam's birthday, I realized. The day, year and month that he had come into the world.

            My legs moved a few steps back, suddenly jumping back in time to when I had seen the ladies wheel out the babies. Time seemed to slow down. Seconds seeming like hours giving me time to see details that I hadn't previously. One of the carts read "Kennedy, Brad," and the other read, "MacKay, Sam."

            Brad? Suddenly I realized that I had no idea what Brad's birthday had been, just that him and Sam were the same age. But I had no idea what hospital each of them had been born in.

            My legs automatically carried me in the direction the nurses had been walking, coming to a small glass room. There were five babies in the small room, the younglings lined up next to one another. Brad and Sam were beside each other, their little bodies looking as if they could have been twins. My hand reached forward, trying the door handle, but it didn't work. Maybe it was locked. I waved down the same nurse as before, but she continued to ignore me, walking in my direction and trying the door handle herself.