Chapter 23

I was in my room, crying, I don't even know why I'm crying, but I am! I wiped my eyes as my door opened,
My dad said" Little one, you okay?"
I mumbled" No."
" Wanna talk to me about it?"
" No."
" Want burgers and fries?"
" No."
" How about a milkshake?" I looked at him," Huh? Dean's about to head out to the diner, thought you could use some cheering up."
" Burger, fries... and milkshake?"
" Yeah, he'll get you that."
" Okay." He smiled at me, Nala came into the room,
She said" Mother... we are out of food, Dash is beginning to get angry."
" Uh... Dad, can we go? Uh, they're out of food and Dash is getting hangry." Dad nodded his head, and held out his hand, I stood up and grabbed his hand. I pulled on my shoes and we walked out, heading to Dean.

We were at the butcher shop, it's the only place we can think to get fresh meat that hasn't been processed like hell. I walked in,
Mr. Murry said" Hey, Huntleigh! How's those animals of yours?"
I said" Great, but out of meat."
" How much you need?"
" Week worth like normal."
" Alright, we got some new meat in, wanna check it out?"
" What is it?"
" Buffalo, bull, rabbit."
" How much?"
" For you, normal prices."
" $250?"
" Yep, I'll give you a week worth for both your animals."
" Thanks." He nodded,
" It'll take me an hour or so, hang around town."
" Alright. I'll be back in an hour." I handed him the money," Thanks so much." He nodded, I walked out, and to my dad and Dean.
" It'll take an hour to get all the meat packed up."
Dad said" We'll stick around, run a few errands."
" Okay." We walked through the town, I yawned and rubbed my eyes,
Dean said" Hey, kiddo, go into that store you like and find something for yourself." He handed me an hundred bill, I nodded, and walked to the store and walked in. I saw the girls that called me a freak, then I saw Finn, my mind calming from the sight of him. He looked at me, then walked to me, he hugged me,
He asked" How're you doing?"
I said" Good, I'm living."
" Well, I say after you guys get done with errands, we take Dash and Nala for a run in the preserve."
" But it's hunting season..."
" Preserve banned the hunting, due to an Anonymous caller, who told them of some hunters who got out of line."
" You didn't?"
" I so did, dudette. They were gonna shoot Dash, and they shot you."
" Yeah, honestly the most terrifying moment in my life... and I was held at gunpoint by a mobster." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, and laughed.
" So, what do you think?"
" And ice cream?"
" Of course." I smiled, nodding, he smiled and kissed my cheek, I blushed, giggling." Come on, I found something that you will love." He laced our fingers together and led me to another part of the store. He covered my eyes, leading me to whatever it is he found.
My eyes were uncovered, and I saw a beautiful music box,
I mumbled" Whoa."
He asked" Like it?"
" Yeah."
" Wanna know more about it?" I nodded," It's Disney themed, hand made, and it can be changed to different tunes."
" How do you know so much about it?"
" Well... I kinda ordered it."
" What?"
" I know how much you like vintage things, and I thought when you find a new baby animal, you'll need something to lull it to sleep, and you don't get good sleep. So... I was thinking, maybe I'd take some money, and talk with Mr. Ray, and boom, music box."
" I love it."
" It's yours." He moved some hair out of my face, and behind my ear, I blushed again." I-I know you're not exactly looking for someone to date right now... but I was wondering if you'd like to... we've known each other for a while, and we've always had a connection."
" Are you trying to ask me on a date?"
" Yeah... I mean, not right now if you don't want to... but, this'll change nothing between us. We're still best friends."
" I-I don't think I'm ready to date... not after what happened."
" Yeah, I saw that answer. And I completely understand, Huntleigh, you need to love yourself before you can love anyone else." I smiled and kissed his cheek,
" You're amazing, Finn."
" I know, I've been told."
" Yeah, by your mom."
" Ouch! Okay, you got me.... asshole."
" I know." He placed the music box in a gift box and handed it to me," Are you serious? It's mine?"
" Yes, it's yours." I squeaked, he laughed," So adorable." I giggled, and we walked out of the store, I yawned and saw my dad and Dean." I'll come by later and get you."
" Okay, see you soon." He nodded and walked away, I walked to my dad and Dean.
Dean asked" What's that?"
" Uh... a music box, Finn ordered it for me."
" Aw, he's so a dork."
" Okay, leave him alone, he's cute." He hummed,
" Our girl has her first crush." I handed Dad the box, I jumped onto Dean, he groaned and wrapped his arms around me. I fake punched his chest," Okay, okay! I get it! Let's go get the meat and head home."

Once we got home, we carried everything in and to the kitchen, Dash ran in, he chirped happily, Nala right behind him.
I said" Weeks worth, like usual. Finn is coming to get us and we're gonna go on a walk."
Nala said" Come along, Dash, let's go get our harnesses on." They walked away, I looked at my dad and Dean, as they looked at me.
" What?"
Dad said" You sure it's safe?"
" It is. Finn said they made the preserve safe, no hunting zone."
" Okay, well, if you run into any trouble..."
" I'll call for backup, I know, dad."
" Okay, just-"
" Daaaaddd."
" Okay, okay." I looked at my phone and saw Finn was here, I smiled and sighed.
" Guys, let's go!" Dash and Nala ran out with their leashes and harnesses on.

We were walking through the preserve, Nala and Dash running ahead of us playing. Then Dash tackled me, I growled playfully and pushed his face away from me. He chirped then ran off again, I smiled as Finn held out a hand. I grabbed his hand, he pulled me up, balancing me as well.
He said" Having fun?"
I said" Yeah, I mean... they love being outside, but it's such a risk... hunters, they could-"
" I know, but it won't happen here, okay? They're safe." I nodded," And they're having so much fun."
" Well, you're helping me bathe them."
" Okay, I deserve that." I laughed, sighing," You're beautiful."
" Well, you're handsome." He smiled, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me closer." I wanna keep this forever."
" Then you can."
" You know, I looked up the life spans of Dash's species, and Nala's... they're gonna be alive for a long time, and I'm so scared that when we leave this town... they're gonna be targeted and hunted."
" I'll help protect them, Sam and Dean will help, everyone you know will help protect them."
" But... what if... college? I don't think they can bare to be away from me, I mean, especially Dash, he's still so young, but he's not really..."
" Hey, I'm gonna be with you, and we'll figure it out. We can get the report, get them certified, we'll figure this out together, Huntleigh. Because we've got each other's backs-" I heard Dash's pain yelp,
" Dash?! Nala?!" Finn and I took off in that direction," Dash Winchester?! Nala Winchester?! Dash?!" I breathed heavily, running as fast as I could to get to my babies.