Chapter 3

Sam's POV
I woke up to Huntleigh moving around, I opened my eyes and saw she was trying to open the front door.
I said" Huntleigh, what're you doing?" She looked at me," Huntleigh, what're you doing?"
She mumbled" Woods."
" You can't go back there, it wasn't safe for you, you're gonna stay here with us, we're your new family, huh?"
" F-Fam-Family?"
" People who take care of you, comfort you, raise you up right. People who are there for you, always and fight for you."
" No know." I looked at her, then got up, crouching down, so she'd feel more safe.
" I can be your... uh, dad... that would make my brother Dean, your uncle. We'd be your family."
" W-Wa-what... c-call you?"
" Uh... what about dad? Daddy?"
" D-Da-Daddy?"
" Yeah, or Sammy, if you want to. That's okay too."
" S-s-Sammy."
" Yeah, Sammy."
" W-Woods."
" You can't go back there, we're family now, and I'm gonna take care of you, okay? I'm gonna take care of you." She walked to me and nuzzled her face into my shoulder. She began playing with my ear, I smiled softly and wrapped my arms around her. I stood up, lifting her into my arms, I laid her on the bed,
" No Sammy." She nuzzled her face into my chest, I wrapped my arms around her. I think all she wants is comfort, she's always heard that humans were bad. I let go of her, she whimpered,
" It's okay, it's bedtime, that's when you go to sleep." She laid down, I walked to the other bed, she yelped, whining." It's okay, it's okay, it's okay. Look, I'm an arm length away, see." I laid down, holding out my arm, showing her I was just right there, not too far away. She nodded, closing her eyes, falling asleep, I sighed then kept my arm out, closing my eyes again.

I woke up and saw Huntleigh looking out the window, her hand pressed against the glass. Dean was awake, looking at the computer,
He said" Oh, yeah, finally. Hey, he's awake, Hunts."
I said" Hunts? When did that become a name?"
" Since she tried to catch and eat a bug."
" Oh, great."
Huntleigh said" Sammy!" She ran to me, smiling, tilting her head and climbing onto my stomach. She played with my ear,
" Why'd you try and eat a bug?"
" Hunger."
" Why didn't you ask Dean for food?"
Dean said" Dude, she wouldn't eat chips, I gave up."
" Okay, we gotta go to the store, find her some clothes and food." Huntleigh was distracted playing with my ear, I smiled at her.

We got to the store, Huntleigh was terrified, she was holding onto my arm tightly. I said" Hunts, it's okay, it's okay, remember I'm not gonna let anything happen to you." She nodded against my arm, looking up at me, I smiled at her.
Dean said" Grocery store... we'll have to go to like the mall or something for clothes and shoes, you know."
" I know, but not yet... maybe tomorrow."
" When are we gonna leave town?"
" When she's ready for that ride back to Kansas."
" Dude... we'll have to stop at Bobby's or something, she's never been in a car for that long."
" But, Bobby, he might..." I looked at Huntleigh, she was so curious about everything but afraid to wander off my arm.
" Bobby ain't gonna hurt a little girl."
" We don't know that."
" Let's just get her some food and figure out her age, alright? One step at a time." I nodded, we walked to the fruit section, Hunts sniffed the air then walked to the berries. She growled at the packaging," No, no, Hunts, you can't eat them in here. You have to wait till they're cleaned." She whined and tried to bite at the package.
" No, Hunts, plastics bad for you." She huffed, then nuzzled into my arm again. We got her some fruits and berries, Dean grabbed some normal snacks for her to try out.

Once back at the motel room, Dean sat Huntleigh down and gave her a chip.
He said" Try this." She sniffed it," No, eat it." I chuckled, smiling as Hunts just scrunched up her nose and sneezed." It's a potato chip... uh, it tastes really good." He grabbed one from the bag and ate it," See? Safe, very safe." She looked at me,
I said" It's okay, try it." She took one from Dean and tried it, she chewed it for a few seconds then swallowed it. Dean looked at her," Is it good? Do you like it?" She nodded,
" Alright! Here, try this." He handed her a little Debby's cake, she bit into it and her eyes lit up." Like that, huh?" He smiled, she nodded excitedly and continued to eat it," Oh, shit.. I think I created a monster." She tilted her head confused," Nothing, Hunts. Go back to eating." She continued to eat, smiling widely, I looked at Dean, smiling.
" Okay, that's enough, little one." She walked to me, wrapping her arms around my neck. She played with my ear again, I smiled and looked at Dean,
" She's 6... the article came out 6 years ago, and she was only a few months old."
" Alright. Whatcha doin', Huntleigh?" She didn't respond, just continued to play with my ear, she was yawning quietly. She nuzzled her face in my neck, and her arms tightened around my neck. After a few seconds, she was asleep... I smiled, then lifted her into my arms and put her down onto the bed." So, she's 6 years old?"
" Yep... birthday, December 3rd."
" She just turned 6?"
" Yeah, kid has no had the easiest 6 years of life yet."
" She will, we're her family now."
" We're hunters, Sammy... she's far away from joining school, she'll have to go with us."
" We'll figure it out, one step at a time, right?"
" Yeah, we will. We gotta get her some clothes, you know. And toys."
" Yeah, we will." Huntleigh stirred, opening her eyes, she rubbed them then got up." Let's go shopping now before she gets hyper."
" Let's go!" I lifted Huntleigh up and we walked out of the motel room, I smile as she holding onto my shirt as we walk to the car.

Once we got to the mall, and walked in, Huntleigh was clinging to me, she was shaking severely. I wrapped an arm around her and pulled her up onto my hip, she wrapped her arms around my neck and played with my ear. I'm thinking she does that when she's feeling uneasy, nervous... anxious, it helps her feel safe and calm. We walked to a store, and walked to the kids' section, I looked around then saw the stares on us.
Dean said" Dude, I feel like we're oddballs here, man."
I said" Yeah, no kidding. Okay, Hunts, get down, we gotta get you some clothes." She whined and held tighter to me," Okay... come on, we gotta try on clothes and then we'll head home and you can eat another cake, huh?" She got down, whimpering, I held her hand, she wrapped her arms around my arm. We walked around aimlessly, holding shirts up to her body to see if they'd fit.
We got to the dressing room, that's when all hell broke...